587,375 active members*
3,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rust and tram

I removed a vise today and found some rust had formed on the table under it. It's been in the same position for about 2 months. I'm using Hangsterfers S500 at around 9%. Is this normal, or a problem associated with using Hangsterfers? Is there something that can be put on the table before installing the vise to prevent this?

What would be considered an acceptable out of tram tolerance for a new CNC mill?

Vern

I think it is close to impossible to stop the corrosion between the vise and the table. It is electrolytic corrosion between two slightly different metals not just the metal reacting with oxygen in the air.

The best success I have had is to wipe a film of straight mineral oil or a film of vaseline, which is real only very thick mineral oil, on the table and on the bottom of the vise. Eventually I gave up and now don't worry about it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Haas Spec is < .0005 @ 10"

Geof,

I'll try the vaseline

Haastech83,

Unfortunately, my TM-1P is out almost .001 in X and in Y. Where do you put the shims?

Vern

Before i would shim the spindle i would make sure that the machine is level. (TM's are hard to level because they are so small, and if i remember correctly if they have the center 2 legs that they are not really able to move the spindle without jacking the whole machine up.) Also check to make sure that the table is perfectly flat. I have seen where the table is different .001 each section. If i think that the table is giving me grief, i use a gauge block and jog the table around to each quadrant so i am using the same spot on the table.

Once you have checked these things i wouldn't hesitate to shim the spindle. Just drop the spindle down just enough to get your shim in and you should be fine.

Smile

Haastech,

I appreciate the advise, I did check to be sure the machine is level. I also tried to place equal tension on all four jack screws although you end up chasing your tail a lot in that area.

I do recall that the indicator made a pretty good jump between one of the middle sections and the outside rail. That would figure into your concern that the table may not be flat. I'll re-check using your gage block method the next time I have the vises off.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation on shimming the spindle but let me try the above before I put you through any more grief.

Thanks Again Vern