587,482 active members*
3,520 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle
Page 35 of 91 2533343536374585
    ok, you're not gonna get much more than a trickle through that. i suspect (according to my tables in Cameron Hydraulic Data) you'll get about 1 GPM through that. That said, I'd suggest using this....

ZFS-05S 20mm Male Thread Metal Shell Water Flow Sensor Switch

on at .75 L/min and works up to 5 L/min

I know, fortunately the water cooled spindles do not require a large volume cooling line, most people are using fish-tank pumps and a 5-gal bucket!
    I just want a fail-safe system built into the machine!

"ZFS-05S 20mm Male Thread Metal Shell Water Flow Sensor Switch" requires 100V, and I only want to use 12-VDC controls.
    AC lines are problematic within CNC's due to noise!

With all the people building & using CNC's, I'm shocked that this type of component doesn't exist!
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

there's only 2 wires. I highly suspect that's a reed switch with contacts rated for up to 100V and 0.5 amp. these are typically a magnet in the water stream that gets moved next to a reed switch when water flows.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
    there's only 2 wires. I highly suspect that's a reed switch with contacts rated for up to 100V and 0.5 amp. these are typically a magnet in the water stream that gets moved next to a reed switch when water flows.
    This is almost surely the case. MAX voltage is 100...

Why not use something like this Alphacool G 1/4 Flow Indicator w/ RPM Signal - Plexi - FrozenCPU.com and get a fan speed controller with an alarm function. Then tap into the alarm functioon to send a signal to the breakout board. When the meter drops below a certain flow rate or no flow at all (programmable in the fan speed controller), then it will activate the e-stop of the spindle.

you'll get the same pulsed output from that sensor as you will from the sensor that widgit already has. that pulsed output is commonly read by the fan status input on a computer motherboard but is not compatible with the digital logic inputs on the CNC controller boards. they like either a set of dry contacts or logic level 0 or 1 based on 5 volts.

True, but combined with this Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT USB Fan Controller Liquid System Controller (53095) - FrozenCPU.com

You could just tap into the buzzard on the board for an output to the breakout board. Might need to use a transistor to switch a higher volt (5-12v) that the pmdx needs to see, but I think it would be doable.

He could also use that same board for thermal and fan control and have a visual indication of every fan and thermal sensor on his machine too.

Actually, come to think of it, I might do something like this when I get my machine built. It would be cool to have a window built into the mach 3 screen that shows fan speed and thermal sensing of everything on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Thanks!
    I'm not sold on the pressure concept either, but I do need something that communicates with the breakout board, or directly to a relay!
    I have just sent an email to the PMDX.com tech support, asking them if their PMDX-171 Hall Effect Sensor board be adapted to a Hall Effect Water Flow Sensor?
    Be interesting to see what they think!
    Widgit
    Well, I recieved a reply from PMDX!

"Hello Eric,

The flow sensor that you linked already has a digital output suitable
    for use as an input to our breakout boards. What is missing is some
    software to look at the signal and decide what to do.

Regards,
    Steve Stallings
    PMDX"

Now I feel confident I'm going in the right direction!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YF-S201 Water Flow Sensor.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Water Flow Sensor I've listed does NOT need to be used as a Flow-Rate Sensor! If the water is flowing the signal is High (+4.5 VDC) If the flow stops, the signal is Low (0.5 VDC) !
    I should be able to connect it directly to one of the Input Pins on the breakout board! Then in MACH3, I can have that port assigned to the E-Stop, or to the BB's relay to trip the E-Stop circuit! Either way will shut down the system, preventing any overheating!
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

Thanks Guys!
    For helping me figure out what I need to do to get this all to work!
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

Widget
    Have you tested the pump with the spindle yet?
    I had a similar sized pump at first but could not get the water flow. Even mounted everything above the spindle to reduce some lift.
    Ended up with a 300 GPH which provided enough pressure and I get plenty of flow through the small fittings.

Steve

Eric's 5 gal/min pump should be able to pump the same amount as your 300 gal/hour pump.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We are using a Thermal Dispersion Flow Switch for the products we sell where I work. They are very accurate and could do what you want.

See this video for some details.
    Series TDFS Thermal Dispersion Flow Switch - YouTube

The only problem I see, we are using 6" water pipes at typically 300GPM +. I'm sure it would be a bit harder to install on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Eric's 5 gal/min pump should be able to pump the same amount as your 300 gal/hour pump.
    Oops missed that. Also forgot he used a graymills industrial pump. No problems with that.

Steve

This afternoon I made up a little set of brackets, to mount the cooling fan & radiator to the water tank. Then I clamped all the pieces together, and made a quick trip to the welder! When I returned, I removed the clamps, and ground the bottom brackets flat on the big belt sander. After a quick assembly, I brought the cooling unit into the back room where the tank is. That's when I saw the need for a little cutout, so the fan's power cord could fit properly! So I dismantled the unit, and setup the mill to make the cutout.
    tomorrow I will mount the cooling unit to the water tank!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_1829.jpg   9x5_Router_1830.jpg   9x5_Router_1831.jpg   9x5_Router_1832.jpg  

9x5_Router_1833.jpg   9x5_Router_1834.jpg   9x5_Router_1835.jpg   9x5_Router_1836.jpg  

9x5_Router_1837.jpg   9x5_Router_1838.jpg   9x5_Router_1839.jpg   9x5_Router_1840.jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Eric, Your water tank, pump, fan looks so much better than my fountain pump and 5 gallon bucket. Wow this is really nice. You pump is so much better than what I am using, I am sure you will have pretty good flow with a pump that big. I don't have high flow but the 4KW spindle never even gets warm with a small amount of flow. I can't wait to see when you get this all put back together.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Eric, Your water tank, pump, fan looks so much better than my fountain pump and 5 gallon bucket. Wow this is really nice. You pump is so much better than what I am using, I am sure you will have pretty good flow with a pump that big. I don't have high flow but the 4KW spindle never even gets warm with a small amount of flow. I can't wait to see when you get this all put back together.

Russ
    Thanks Russ!
    I'm really anxious to get my parts back, but the delivery was delayed so I'll not have them this weekend
    Widgit

You really are keeping that welder busy...

That pump doesn't sit vertically when operated, does it?

Page 35 of 91 2533343536374585