587,496 active members*
3,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

vf3ss and vf2ss

for you guys that have them are the Heads the same size casting or is the vf3 ss bigger than the vf2ss? do they use the same width head or is the vf3 wider or would I need to goto a vf4 to get a beefier head.
    and how do ya like the new 2012 machines vs the 2005-2010 machines.

Thanks
    Delw

They're probably bigger, unless Haas has changed the design. The VF1 and 2 share the same bases, then the VF3,4,5, so I'd assume the head section is larger too. I don't know for sure though.

The newer machines have a lot of changes but I don't personally know when a lot of them originated. I can't even describe how different the plumbing is for the solenoids and wiring....

have alot of '12 machines on the floor a few '11 and ive used about '04-'07 before. the new ones the interlock is annoying. the latest version for renishaw .03 isnt that great if you dont do mdi,offset,offset to probe a part it drops the macros haas guy doesnt know why... the newer coolant... well its a haas what do you expect? i have to blow out the nozzles every 18hrs or so and usually disconnect the pump and blow it all out the back every 32-48 hours... waiting to see how the vf3ss with through tool is gonna hold up leaks alot out the head when its on. told that was normal... using the "fine" mesh covers over an additional basket that sits about the normal screen on the coolant tank.. ya fun

Quote Originally Posted by NW_Phil View Post
    have alot of '12 machines on the floor a few '11 and ive used about '04-'07 before. the new ones the interlock is annoying. the latest version for renishaw .03 isnt that great if you dont do mdi,offset,offset to probe a part it drops the macros haas guy doesnt know why... the newer coolant... well its a haas what do you expect? i have to blow out the nozzles every 18hrs or so and usually disconnect the pump and blow it all out the back every 32-48 hours... waiting to see how the vf3ss with through tool is gonna hold up leaks alot out the head when its on. told that was normal... using the "fine" mesh covers over an additional basket that sits about the normal screen on the coolant tank.. ya fun
    Had a batch of 4 new machines that all of them would get the coolant lines plugged from aluminum chips getting past the gate filter and the basket filter at the coolant tank. The only thing I can come up with is that the new discharge location from the machine (which I love) is so close to the pump that the chips never have time to settle thus getting sucked into the pump.

I attached a picture of my fix for this issue. It uses a replaceable 200 micron basket filter and works great! No more chips in the machine coolant lines.
    For my application it lasts about 1-2 months. I painted everything and it looks like it came from the factory. The coolant pumps is rated at 10GPM I believe and the filter is rated at 40GPM.

As a comparison, I put one on a 2006 machine and it has been in use since last December with hardly any drop in performance. Big difference in the amount of chips that get sucked into the pump and through the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AuxFilter2.jpg  

haastec, can you post up a part number please
    I did the same thing with my '12 VM2, but it is much shorter that that one. It's from Grainger and only about 20ish but I would like to do a bigger one.
    Gary

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...ks_tricks.html

heres a few different ways,mine still works good. delrin is a killer and we have to change filters every 4 days.
    Must be plastic machining month this month. we have machined nothing but plastic for the whole month and have another 20-25 orders on 4 machines. delrin . abs teflon uhmw nylon plexiglass etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    They're probably bigger, unless Haas has changed the design. The VF1 and 2 share the same bases, then the VF3,4,5, so I'd assume the head section is larger too. I don't know for sure though.

The newer machines have a lot of changes but I don't personally know when a lot of them originated. I can't even describe how different the plumbing is for the solenoids and wiring....
    thanks ynda

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    haastec, can you post up a part number please
    I did the same thing with my '12 VM2, but it is much shorter that that one. It's from Grainger and only about 20ish but I would like to do a bigger one.
    Gary
    Filter housing is Grainger 4BA81.
    I also swapped out the pressure guage for a 0-30 psi one so that it is easier to see a change when the filter starts to get full.

I debated on the smaller one also, but glad I didn't. I wanted to make sure I still had good flow even when the bag would start to fill up with chips. I even suplement with P/N: 2W186. Its a bulk roll filter that we cut to size for the chip pan especially when the chips are really fine. It's cheap enough so you can can change it out often if needed.

Good luck!