586,655 active members*
4,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Problem with G540

System 48V power Supply, 6.8 Mh steppers .200 lead ball screws on X2 seig Mini-mill. High speed moves work fine tested to 240 ipm but set max to 150 ipm. The problem shows up on low speed moves, less than 10 ipm. Usually on circular cuts. Using EMC2. It appears on some cases the X stepper delays starting. display counting down but no stepping then latter in the cut starting. Have witnessed same performance with spindle retracted so no cutting load. both high and low pulse witdths set to 2.5 micro seconds.

Hubert

Quote Originally Posted by hab82 View Post
    System 48V power Supply, 6.8 Mh steppers .200 lead ball screws on X2 seig Mini-mill. High speed moves work fine tested to 240 ipm but set max to 150 ipm. The problem shows up on low speed moves, less than 10 ipm. Usually on circular cuts. Using EMC2. It appears on some cases the X stepper delays starting. display counting down but no stepping then latter in the cut starting. Have witnessed same performance with spindle retracted so no cutting load. both high and low pulse witdths set to 2.5 micro seconds.

Hubert
    i had this issue. on mine it was speeds under 2ipm.... which probably corrolates to your circle problems. some people had luck swapping drives out for new ones, but i dont know if there was ever a true fix. my solution is to use sherline 1/2 step mode. fixes the issue completely.

supposedly half step mode is noisier and not as smooth, but i dont notice a big difference. accuracy stays the same, so thats not a worry.

Make sure your step and direction signals are active high. This is what the G540 expects.
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    Make sure your step and direction signals are active high. This is what the G540 expects.
    I don't know how stepconf defines active but I did check the invert signal line on step and the problem seems to have disappeared. I have been making other changes for different purposes so I can't guarantee this was the solution. I am more interested in finishing the parts for my Z axis conversion than I am interested in developing a more thorough knowledge of EMC2 at this time.

I will say that the G540 gives me enough speed and torque to break end mills. With the old drivers this was never the problem, since everything moved slower.

Hubert

Gecko recommend a pulse width setting of 2 in Mach3. That is a pulse width of 7 micro seconds.

In mach3 a setting of 0 is 5 micro seconds. Setting of 2 is 2 + 5 = 7, and so 3 becomes 3 + 5 = 8 and so on.

So maybe in EMC the setting should be 7 micro seconds.

Greg