586,670 active members*
3,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 14 678910

Re: Spindle Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    The #16=10, #14=15 and #12=20 amps and so on is a safe and common sense guide line, for wiring anything. By posting those other numbers people get confused and that is what I was trying to clear up. According to the Code minimum wire size for motors is #14 AWG, there are exceptions for motors rated under 8.5 amps. There are exceptions for welders also. Please do not wire anything with #16 and try to put 24 amps thru it!!. The temperature rating of the wire insulation is what determines the amp capacity. Please get a wiring book that teaches you the correct way to wire. Home Depot used to carry a pretty good one and so did Sears years ago. Do not trust anything you find on the internet about wiring.

Yes if you ran 24 amps thru a #16 wire it would get hot or at least very, very warm. Then you need to be concerned about I Square R losses.
    When I was younger... I dreamed of owning an encyclopedia, but my parents nor I could afford it. Today... I find the internet replaces the encyclopedia I never had, but I've learned early on that you have to be "EXTRA" careful with the information you find. There is "MORE" bad info than there is good. I check/compare the info provided with "MANY" other sources before using it and so should "anyone else" using the Internet.

Even then... I still make bad choices

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Pal View Post
    I was always under the impression that the standard wire gages for NA homes was the same for motor applications.

As you initially posted:

16 = 10 amps
    14 = 15 amps
    12 = 20 amps
    etc...

The above is what I always understood before your post which is why I was questioning if the 16 gage was good enough for the 2.2kw motor in my earlier post.

I was surprised to find out that there are 16 gage wires that can handle 24 amps and can legally be used to wire things like motors!
    I actually thought that 24 amps would turn a 16 gage wire into a heating element.

Is that 16 gage 24 amp wire that mactec54 spoke of made of copper?
    Is the insulation the only reason it can tolerate such a high amp rating?
    I can't think of a reason to wire something that allows a wire to get hot, so what would be a good application for it?
    Doesn't the length of it also play a role in it's rating as well?

I would appreciate an explanation. I'm clearly NOT an electrician and I'm just trying to learn and understand.
    Correct that is for regular cable you buy at the hardware store there is a very big difference with these quality cables that is why 16Gauge Hardware store cable is only rated for 10A Etc

There is a lot of things at play the strand count and quality of the wire the coating on the wire the insulation the higher the temperature rating the better although there is a limit to how effective it becomes at protecting the wire it the wire was to over heat, the cable I gave you the spec's for was rated at 30C why more than you will ever get near

If you had the top off your spindle for the ground wire you would see the conductor size for the 3 Phase wires they are smaller than the 16 Gauge ( 1.5mm ) I specified for you
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Correct that is for regular cable you buy at the hardware store there is a very big difference with these quality cables that is why 16Gauge Hardware store cable is only rated for 10A Etc

There is a lot of things at play the strand count and quality of the wire the coating on the wire the insulation the higher the temperature rating the better although there is a limit to how effective it becomes at protecting the wire it the wire was to over heat, the cable I gave you the spec's for was rated at 30C why more than you will ever get near

If you had the top off your spindle for the ground wire you would see the conductor size for the 3 Phase wires they are smaller than the 16 Gauge ( 1.5mm ) I specified for you
    I can now understand that there are "different amp ratings" for the "same Gage wire" size "depending on the many other factors you pointed out".

I will be using your recommended cable for my setup, and I've decided to bite the bullet and go with the 220V setup instead of the 110V I have. I know I won't be happy with 110V under power setup that I wrongly chose. Hopefully these posts can save someone else from making my mistake.

Both the VFD and motor will be 220V. Can you provide me with the VFD settings for that?
    Here is the manual link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z47up6cxuq...erter.pdf?dl=0

Do as you wish. This is my last post here on this subject, time do something not so boring. If you have questions on the correct way to size wires or overload protection you can always PM.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

So this is what I have it is quit a long list for your VFD Drive

Wiring Check don't use a Green wire like they show in the wiring diagrams

Input wiring L/R =Black Wire N=Neutral White wire and FG= Ground Green Wire Wiring For 110/120 NA Supply

Output wiring U V W and FG= Ground for your spindle Connection cable required ( IGUS CF6-15-04 ) ( Ph 401-438-7270 ) Again don't use a GREEN Wire Like They Show in the Diagrams GREEN can Only be used as a GROUND Wire

Mactec54
    HJ 600/620 110v 2.2Kw Water Cooled

P00.00=400

P00.01=0

P00.04=400

P00.05=400

P00.06=110%

P00.07=140

P00.08=35%

P00.09=120

P00.10=30%

P01.04=110

P03.08=120

P03.09=400

P06.00=

P06.01=8 ( Acceleration Adjustable )

P06.02=8 ( Deceleration Adjustable )

P0700=400

P07.08=0

P11.01=110

P11.02=9

P11.03=400

P12.00=8.5

P12.01=110

P12.02=2

P12.03=6

P12.05=20

P12.06=110
    Mactec54 I have the same manual as CNC-Pal has except that my my VFD and Spindle is rated 220V.
    Model YL620-2.2KW-220V

Would it be possible for you to post the VFD parameters for this one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by allaces View Post
    Mactec54 I have the same manual as CNC-Pal has except that my my VFD and Spindle is rated 220V.
    Model YL620-2.2KW-220V

Would it be possible for you to post the VFD parameters for this one as well?
    Sure won't be a lot of difference is your spindle water cooled or air cooled ???

Have you checked your spindle to see if the 4th pin is connected to Ground in the spindle most are not and need correcting ???
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Pal View Post
    I can now understand that there are "different amp ratings" for the "same Gage wire" size "depending on the many other factors you pointed out".

I will be using your recommended cable for my setup, and I've decided to bite the bullet and go with the 220V setup instead of the 110V I have. I know I won't be happy with 110V under power setup that I wrongly chose. Hopefully these posts can save someone else from making my mistake.

Both the VFD and motor will be 220V. Can you provide me with the VFD settings for that?
    Here is the manual link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z47up6cxuq...erter.pdf?dl=0
    Sure are you using the same VFD Drive manufacture or a different Drive they all have different requirements
    Mactec54

The #16=10, #14=15 and #12=20 amps and so on is a safe and common sense guide line, for wiring anything. By posting those other numbers people get confused and that is what I was trying to clear up. According to the Code minimum wire size for motors is #14 AWG, there are exceptions for motors rated under 8.5 amps. There are exceptions for welders also. Please do not wire anything with #16 and try to put 24 amps thru it!!. The temperature rating of the wire insulation is what determines the amp capacity. Please get a wiring book that teaches you the correct way to wire. Home Depot used to carry a pretty good one and so did Sears years ago. Do not trust anything you find on the internet about wiring.

Yes if you ran 24 amps thru a #16 wire it would get hot or at least very, very warm. Then you need to be concerned about I Square R losses.
    Nobody is wiring a House or a shed Home Depot wiring books only cover building wiring requirement which has nothing to do with wiring a VFD Drive ( Industrial Requirement's )

You have to look at the bigger picture, this should of been the first thing as an electrician you should of done is amps per phase ( Per Conductor ) requirement's this is how all good electrician's engineers work to determine the right cable size and Breakers Etc per code Requirement

His Amps per phase ( Conductor amps ) will only be 2.6A to 3.2A FLC x NEC regulations requirements 150%=4.8A per Phase ( Conductor ) so even if you rated the 16AWG at 10A it is way more than anyone will ever need they could even use 18AWG and still be in NEC Code Requirement's, but with all the testing I have done 16AWG works well for this 2.2Kw spindle any spindle like 1.5Kw and below can use the 18AWG

As for cable Temperature you have little understanding of how that works here is a Temperature Amp chart, I don't think anyone would have a need for 24Amps on the 16AWG cable even though it is rated for that

The Snip below tells you the Amps a cable can carry at the cable's insulation Temperature Rating
    Mactec54

Sure won't be a lot of difference is your spindle water cooled or air cooled ???

Have you checked your spindle to see if the 4th pin is connected to Ground in the spindle most are not and need correcting ???
    It is water cooled and I will need to check if the 4 th pin is connected. If it's not then what?

Thanks

Sure are you using the same VFD Drive manufacture or a different Drive they all have different requirements
    CNC-Pal just emailed me that he can no longer log on to CNCzone. When he tries, he gets a "message pop up" that says he's been "banned forever" with "no reason given" from CNCzone. Wow... What is that all about? I looked at his postings and I don't see anything in them that would warrant that! Who's next?

I will answer your question on his behalf.
    Yes he's buying from the same manufacture but it is water cooled Model YL620-2.2KW-220V. He will read your response on CNCzone

It is water cooled and I will need to check if the 4 th pin is connected. If it's not then what?

Thanks
    You have to do it like this by removing the top cap and adding the Ground wire
    Mactec54

You have to do it like this by removing the top cap and adding the Ground wire
    Perfect, I will check and do as shown if it's not already grounded.

Do you have the parameters for me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-xray View Post
    CNC-Pal just emailed me that he can no longer log on to CNCzone. When he tries, he gets a "message pop up" that says he's been "banned forever" with "no reason given" from CNCzone. Wow... What is that all about? I looked at his postings and I don't see anything in them that would warrant that! Who's next?

I will answer your question on his behalf.
    Yes he's buying from the same manufacture but it is water cooled Model YL620-2.2KW-220V. He will read your response on CNCzone
    There must be some glitch I do not see that he has posted anything that is out of the ordinary, did he get an email that said this or just can't log in, I will PM you may email and he can contact me direct if he can't get this resolved, just let me know, I have the list for the 220v VFD
    Mactec54

Perfect, I will check and do as shown if it's not already grounded.

Do you have the parameters for me?

Thanks
    Yes I do have them ready, but make sure all your wiring is correct before you try and run it and enter the Parameters

I would like you to verify the wiring with photos you only get one shot at this so you want it to be right

Mactec54
    Spindle Cable IGUS CF6-15-04 PH 401-438-7270

Huajiang VFD Drive

YL 600/620 220 2.2Kw Water Cooled

P00.00=400

P00.01=0

P00.04=400

P00.05=400

P00.06=110%

P00.07=140

P00.08=35%

P00.09=120

P00.10=30%

P01.00=1

P01.03=100%

P01.04=110%

P01.08=110%

P03.08=120

P03.09=400

P06.01=8 ( Acceleration Adjustable )

P06.02=8 ( Deceleration Adjustable )

P0700=400

P07.08=0

P11.01=220

P11.02=9

P11.03=400

P12.00=9

P12.01=220

P12.02=2

P12.03=6.5

P12.05=10

P12.06=220
    Mactec54

He told me that he was unable to post his location as a user, so he contacted CNCzone support. The next day he tried to logon he got the pop up with no email or explanation as to why. The POP say "no reason given". That is some way to treat newcomers!

Could you email the parameters directly to him at: [email protected]
    I'm sure he will be very appreciative.

Thanks

Yes I do have them ready, but make sure all your wiring is correct before you try and run it and enter the Parameters

I would like you to verify the wiring with photos you only get one shot at this so you want it to be right
    I will definitively heed your warnings.

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-xray View Post
    He told me that he was unable to post his location as a user, so he contacted CNCzone support. The next day he tried to logon he got the pop up with no email or explanation as to why. The POP say "no reason given". That is some way to treat newcomers!

Could you email the parameters directly to him at: [email protected]
    I'm sure he will be very appreciative.

Thanks
    This is not normal just a glitch I think, they would email him if there was a problem, the Parameters he needs are in the last post I just posted for another user of the same VFD Drive, but can contact with regular Email if he needs it, just PM me if he needs a direct contact
    Mactec54

This is not normal just a glitch I think, they would email him if there was a problem, the Parameters he needs are in the last post I just posted for another user of the same VFD Drive, but can contact with regular Email if he needs it, just PM me if he needs a direct contact
    Thanks mactec54: I see them and I will let him know (If he hasn't already seen them).

He has put in a ticket, but that doesn't seem to help.
    FYI here is a pic the message he keeps getting

My guess is the offensive or insulting post was deleted. There are a lot of others pending.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

My guess is the offensive or insulting post was deleted. There are a lot of others pending.
    All his posts are intact nothing has been deleted from any of his posts, he did not insult anyone or post anything out of normal that would come under any scrutiny from the moderators, if this was the case we know who instigated it
    Mactec54

Page 8 of 14 678910