587,081 active members*
2,628 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Need tool and start advise.

Need tool and start advise.

I have my CNC MOGUL ROUTER coming in Monday, JULY 29TH and I would like to know the basic bits needed for 3D routing and what software to use as a starter. My machine is coming with Mach3 stuff and I am at a loss on how to get started. I do plan on using some ready to cut designs from Vector.com to practice on but I would like to scan in my own artwork from then on.
    Any advise on how to do this?

The basic bits used for 3D carving are ball-nose endmills. You need to use them because ordinary flat endmills won't make contoured surfaces due to their geometry. If you're starting out with pre-modeled 3D reliefs, try DeskProto to convert them into G-code your router will be able to run. If you want to make your own 3D models, the choice of CAD software really depends on the sort of things you want to make, as well as issues like your budget and tolerance for learning curves.

You mention scanning in your own artwork. Does this mean you plan to get a 3D scanner to scan sculptural work? Or do you plan to do 2d routing, use 2D scans as a basis for 3D CAD models, or convert gray-scale images to 3D?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I had heard if you scan artwork in as grayscale, one can convert them to 3D vector models. Dunno, I am very green at this. Seems like there should be a 3D vector book for dummies some where.
    The very elementary instructions on what to do 1,2,3. or a,b,c. :-|
    What shape and size bits should I buy?