587,087 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > My router caught fire today. Which new spindle?

My router caught fire today. Which new spindle?

My £25.00 router finally gave up today, and set itself on fire. I really only bought it as a tester. Now I know the CNC machine works ok, I need a new cutting spindle.

Anyone have any recommendations from expirience. I was thinking maybe along the lines of a Makita or Porta Cable perhaps even a bosch. Would need to be the fixed base type, so I can take the motor/spindle part out and fix it to the CNC.

My main priorities are: Durablility, Quietness. Variable speed would be nice too.

I'm based in the UK, but would buy from the US. I don't mind paying good money as long as I get a good router.

Recommendations please. Good or bad.

Many thanks.........

I've had a search on the web and can find only one fixed base router in the uk. A 900 Watt Makita.

Have found loads in the US, but appear to be 120 Volt AC. Does anyone know if these would run ok from a UK 240V to 110V site transformer?

By all means, 120 volts is 120 volts no matter where it comes from Just watch that the wattage of the tranformer is high enough for the load of the motor.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i bought my makita from www.coastaltool.com and the service was exceptional. Delivered within 3 days! just bear in mind the VAT you will have to pay for importing it.
    Yes, it will run fine from a regular bulding site transformer, but to add to Hu's comments, check the duty-cycle of the tranny. Mine is rated for 15 mins on 15 mins off at peak wattage (3kw), but since I am only using about half that, I have had no problems with it cutting out........yet! They are sealed units, so perhaps one day I should add a fan?!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Just switched to a porter cable trim router. Quieter and much more solid than anything else I have tried. Can only use 1/4" shank bits though
    My machine is small, not sure what size you need. I have had two other spindles with variable speed, and have never run them at anything but max RPM.
    co

I've ordered the Makita router from Coastaltool.com as recommended by Kong. Many thanks for that.

Why is it that I can find only one router in the UK that the motor/spindle assembly can be withdrawn from, and that's after hours of searching. There are almost no fixed base routers available here at all.
    The one I did find is a Makita, but it is less powerful and more expensive than the one I've ordered from the US, that's including the $80.00 shipping and UK taxes.

Now I have to order another one of those cheapo routers that catch fire in under 20 hours of use, so I can machine a bracket to mount the new Makita.

Next up. Improved stepper drivers.........

This CNC hobby is really starting to soak up the money now!!!! Good news is I may have found a paying customer.

Thanks to all for the router info's.......

Terry