587,657 active members*
3,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > MSD542 Microstepping Drivers

MSD542 Microstepping Drivers

I Have just purchesed a cnc kit from motion control products. The stuff looks great, however there is no instructions on how to wire it together and the website spec sheets are dire. does anyone know how to wire the stepper drivers to the breakout board? if so please post.

The kit consists of :-

1 X Breakout board
    3 X 4.2A MSD542 Microstepping Drivers
    3 X 1.86 Nm Stepper motors (Low inductance)
    2 X 40V, 7A non regulated power supply

web site is at

http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....&products_id=9

I just got me a couple of those. They have taken my top speed from 420mm/min to 1000mm/min. Very nice!

They have opto isolated inputs so you can wire the inputs for active high or active low.

PUL + (+5V)
    PUL - (PUL)
    DIR + (+5V)
    DIR - (DIR)
    ENA + (+5V)
    ENA - (ENA)
    GND motor supply ground
    +V motor supply voltage <= 50V
    A+ stepper coil A
    A- stepper coil A
    B+ stepper coil B
    B- stepper coil B

For my setup I connect
    PUL+ and DIR+ to my controllers 5V supply
    PUL- and DIR- to the step, direction pins on my breakout board
    ENA+ I connect to my enable pin on my breakout board and ENA- I connect to GND.
    I'm not sure how their breakout board is configured. Mine is optoisolated so theirs may be the inverse of what I've got.

I think the ENA logic is the wrong way around. The driver is enabled when there is no signal on ENA+/-. This means if the push on connector comes out, the drive is enabled.

Did you realise its actually £50 cheaper to buy the components for this seperately from the same website (minus the breakout board)? £50 seems a bit steep for a breakout board.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bits View Post
    I Have just purchesed a cnc kit from motion control products. The stuff looks great, however there is no instructions on how to wire it together and the website spec sheets are dire. does anyone know how to wire the stepper drivers to the breakout board? if so please post.

The kit consists of :-

1 X Breakout board
    3 X 4.2A MSD542 Microstepping Drivers
    3 X 1.86 Nm Stepper motors (Low inductance)
    2 X 40V, 7A non regulated power supply

web site is at

http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....&products_id=9
    You might want to email my friend at [email protected]. He can help

Msd542

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster...

I bought basically the same kit, but got the 3Nm motors, last week.

I'm still in the process of building my machine, but have had it moving on all 3 axes via TurboCNC, before stripping down for painting.

My motors are wired for Bi-Polar Parallel, using the following terminals on the driver: (I'm assuming your motors may have the same colour wires)
    A+ white/red & white/blue
    A- red & blue
    B+ white/green & white/black
    B- green & black

My breakout board is connected to the drive as follows:
    Pul+ pin2(x) pin4(y) pin6(z)
    Pul- ground
    Dir+ pin3(x) pin5(y) pin7(z)
    Dir- ground
    Ena+ not connected
    Ena- not connected

I'm using an old Toshiba laptop at the moment, as none of the other machines I have free, except for this desktop I'm currently using, have a printer port. At first, I thought I'd done something wrong with the setup, as the motors would hold when powered up, but wouldn't move when jogged or sent commands from TurboCNC.

I eventually traced it to the port settings in the BIOS and changed it to Bi-Directional, restarted TurboCNC, then grinned like an idiot as it ran through the 'drilling.cnc' sample g-code.

HTH,

Mickster

Can someone enlighten me as to why there are TWO PS bundled in this package? It's got to be intended that they're wired in parallel to give 40V @ 14A because the drivers are max 50V, so 80V @ 7A is out. The motors are 4V @ 2A/phase so 14A seems way over what's needed. For example Gecko 201s would only need a supply of around 2A for all three of these motors.

Its due to the surge current when you start it up.
    We have found that in some cases when you power the three drivers up with one power supply one or two of the drivers dont start, so we now bundle two supplies.
    If anyone has ano problems wiring them up, just call the office we can talk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to why there are TWO PS bundled in this package? It's got to be intended that they're wired in parallel to give 40V @ 14A because the drivers are max 50V, so 80V @ 7A is out. The motors are 4V @ 2A/phase so 14A seems way over what's needed. For example Gecko 201s would only need a supply of around 2A for all three of these motors.
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mcpltd View Post
    If anyone has ano problems wiring them up, just call the office we can talk you through it.
    I think it would be a good idea to add a simple wiring diagram in with your drives that us technically challenged hobby users can understand.

John

That is something i am working on, the reason we have not done that yet is becasue we supply the drivers with many motors with different wire colors, and the wire info is on the front of the driver.
    But i will be working on this next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to add a simple wiring diagram in with your drives that us technically challenged hobby users can understand.

John

if you ring the company they will send you the relevant information as I had same problem. I also had to put a seperate switch between power inputs to each driver so that you switch on each one in turn unless you have a seperate power supply for each driver.

johnmb

Thanks to you guys it worked first time! I wired up one motor, connected to computer, loaded Mach2, pressed manual control icon, motor goes.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bits View Post
    Thanks to you guys it worked first time! I wired up one motor, connected to computer, loaded Mach2, pressed manual control icon, motor goes.
    Thanks again!
    Hi, just purchase 4 of these axact drivers sold by Kinlinginc.net, they have wiring diagrams for there drivers and there breakout boards so you may like to check them out.

Cheers Lou.

Its due to the surge current when you start it up.
    We have found that in some cases when you power the three drivers up with one power supply one or two of the drivers dont start, so we now bundle two supplies.
    Sorry - but on your web site you say...

"...power supply specificaly made for use with our range of stepper and servo drivers."

Again - sorry to push - but why would anyone specifically make a supply that was only half as powerful as what is actually required?

Currently I have several machines where on each I'm happily driving FOUR 2.8A motors from 6.5A supplies. 14A just seems crazy - not to mention expensive.

The problem is that when you start them the voltage on the PSU goes below the rated voltage of the driver.
    This can cause the driver to get a brown out (Not start)
    This only happens when you put three or more drivers configured to 4.2A.

Sorry - but on your web site you say...

"...power supply specificaly made for use with our range of stepper and servo drivers."

Again - sorry to push - but why would anyone specifically make a supply that was only half as powerful as what is actually required?

Currently I have several machines where on each I'm happily driving FOUR 2.8A motors from 6.5A supplies. 14A just seems crazy - not to mention expensive.

This only happens when you put three or more drivers configured to 4.2A.
    Thanks for your reply - I'm cautious of sounding like I'm pushing - but why would they be configured to 4.2A for the kit in question - the motors are only 2A/phase.

Admin: I'm also concious I've kind of hijacked this thread - should I start my own perhaps?

It depends on the kit, we do a few and the smaller kit uses the FL57STH76-2808B, and this is a 2.0A motor in series and 4.0A in parallel.
    There is no setting for 4A, and the you can either set it to 3.76A or 4.2A.

When a stepper driver first powers up, the capacitors fill up and this draws more current than normal, and if you have three all start at the same time, the current is very high (for under a second)
    This is typical for most drivers.
    Once the drivers have powered up the current requirement is about 6-7A for all three drivers, but because we have seen problems with brown outs we decided to supply two PSU per kit.
    If you decide that you don’t want to speed the extra £35 on the second power supply then you can buy the parts separately.
    I hope that clears things up.

Thanks for your reply - I'm cautious of sounding like I'm pushing - but why would they be configured to 4.2A for the kit in question - the motors are only 2A/phase.

Admin: I'm also concious I've kind of hijacked this thread - should I start my own perhaps?

Thanks for your info and speedy responses.