587,854 active members*
4,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 6 23456

Smile My Cnc's little helper

Hi all glad to see all getting into the MP03 i have been running mine now for a few weeks and i have to say its magic the plugin runs seemlesly and with a bit of thought you can just about brew the tea burn the toast and machine out a pocket or to ,, LOL,, if you use the Machmad v2 to find all you options then the pendent is what ever you want it to be ,, with in reason.. Its the First Kit i have seen and its a great buz to build debug and use,, Peter Scott top Stuff
    im in the UK if any one wants any Pics of my build let me know although there are some on here page 2 or 3 ?? some where
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pend03.jpg  

Plugins MachMAD vs MP03V2.0

Peter and/or Scott,

I received a plugin (zipped) which only installs the MachMAD plugin. Isn't there suppose to be an MP03 V2.0 plugin as well?

Going through the the steps provided by the help file it states on how to configure the MP03V2 plugin which is required for the MODIO pendant.

Here is a list of the files found when the MP-03v2.zip file is unzipped;

MP-03v2-0\MP-03 Pendant Kit Operators reference.txt
    MP-03v2-0\MP03help.exe
    MP-03v2-0\MachMad.msi

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Carlos

Carlos,

sorry about that, you got a "opps" in the beta installer..... I have sent the new installer to Peter.

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaBear10 View Post
    Carlos,

sorry about that, you got a "opps" in the beta installer..... I have sent the new installer to Peter.

scott
    Scott,
    Not a problem...hopefully Peter will send me the new installer.

Disregard the message I sent to you on the Mach3 forum as well.

Thanks
    Carlos

Hi all,

Below is a photo showing the latching EStop stwich installed.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PartsMountedWithESop.jpg  
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Very Cool Peter,

It looks great!!!!!!!

Carlos, how is yours working now?

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaBear10 View Post
    Very Cool Peter,

It looks great!!!!!!!

Carlos, how is yours working now?

scott
    Scott,

I got mine working ....however I need to hook it up to my cnc system in order to see final results but the actual pendant reacts to all the commands.

Let you know more when I get to install it on the cnc system.

Thanks for the help.
    Carlos

My DIY pendant

Rex, all

Attached are some pictures of my pendant.

As you can observe the placement of the components are different from the one Peter put together. Actually I started mine over a year ago and didn't pick it up until a month or two ago.

What I wanted to do was to keep the amount of wiring to a minimum and be able to service it by using some home made connectors as you can see.

I haven't yet try the pendant with my cnc machine because of several personal issues and also I am upgrading my shop (garage) by putting some AC and getting it ready for summer which is almost here in Florida.

If any one requires more info please PM me or ask them on this thread (forum).

Hope it gets anyone else excited into building their own.

Cheers,
    Carlos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010054.jpg   P1010055.jpg   P1010056.jpg   P1010059.jpg  

Hi Calos,

Nice build. I'm interested in seeing more designs.

Cheers,

Peter.

Just curious, anyone got any feed back on thier units? How is it working for ya?

scott

Smile The MP03 pendant

Scott, I have been using my pendant for some time, It runs seamlessly under Mach 3 the latest pluging i have seems great. It does all i ask of it, what more could you ask. To add the build was easy and fun, Brillient value for the money it cost...GREAT PRODUCT
    Steve Beale UK

Thank you Professor Steve.........

Version 2.4 of the Mod IO pendant Plugin was sent to Peter Holman today.

it fixes:

The MPG position jump bug that would happen IF, the MPG wheel was turned while the Pendant was in an OFF state and/or if it was in continous mode. Then when turned on, or/and moved from continous to MPG it would "catch up" to where the MPG wheel was turned while Pendant OFF and/or in continous mode.

now if the MPG is accidentally turned while the pendant is OFF, or in Continous jog state, and you turn it on, or change from continous to mpg via the pendant it Auto Synchs to where machs position says it is, so it doesnt move.

Thanks to Ward for finding the issue, and sending it to us. Thanks to Pete for his help in doing the Synch up with Mach3/Mod IO.

If you want the new Installer I suspect it should be up at some point today or tommorrow on Petes site.

Note: You have to Uninstall the old Pendant software from the Programs list, then install the new one. Also, you will have to open Mach3, then Re-Enable the MP-03 plugin again, close mach3 and then reopen.

Scott

Hello everyone, I just finished building the MP-03 pendant the other night and I

have run into a few problems. The build went quite well although it did test my

"beginner" skills. The first problem I have is when I enable the plug-in the reset

button in Mach flashes between "external reset requested" and "comm err

reopen port". Both RX & TX leds are flashing suggesting that I do have signals

between PC and pendant but I also get the error light flashing. I also get the XYZ position reading and "OFF"

displaying on the LCD screen suggesting that Mach can see the pendant. In the

con-fig tab I have set estop from latching to momentary with no difference.

From the Modio con-fig screen I have been trying to get the test modbus

con-fig to work but all get are timeouts, I feel this is where the problem might

lay. My current setup is using a Smoothstepper, at first I thought there may

have been some conflict but with or without the SS enable I still get the

same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The first thing to do is to sort out the comms error problems. Check that you have the baud rate in Mach set properly. It should be 57600. Also check that you have the Modbus timeout value set as well. 200ms is good.

Another ting to do is use a tool like Modbus Poll to test the serial interface. It is what I use for my testing and development.

http://www.modbustools.com/modbus_poll.asp

The demo version runs for 10 minutes before you need to restart it. Long enough to test out the interface.

It is strange that the comms are working intermittently.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi,

I bought the MP-03 pendant kit few days ago and I began assembling it today. It is not clear to me how to wire the E-STOP switch. In the schematics the E-Stop switch goes to the 6 pin connector that provides power and RS-232 communication. Do I need to connect the E-Stop switch to one of the inputs in the parallel port?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by newtonbe View Post
    Hi,

I bought the MP-03 pendant kit few days ago and I began assembling it today. It is not clear to me how to wire the E-STOP switch. In the schematics the E-Stop switch goes to the 6 pin connector that provides power and RS-232 communication. Do I need to connect the E-Stop switch to one of the inputs in the parallel port?

Thanks!
    Hi,

Rember that an EStop is an "Emergency Stop". Therefore you cannot rely on Mach3 to handle it for you. It may be that the reason you pushed it was because Mach3 was not functioningt as it should.

THe Estop needs to be wired into you Emergency Safety circuitry that should cut the power from your motion controller (Stepper/servo motor driver supply)

On the schematic the EStop contacts are bought out though the Pendant cable. At the other end you need to wire then to a contactor or relay that cuts the power to your drives.

If the above does not make sence let me know and I'll expain it in more detail.

Cheers,

Peter.

MPG Problems

I just recieved the pendant kit and I am trying to get the MPG to work. I cant seem to jog in mach with it. I have just hooked it up according to the schematic i am running the mp-03 profile in mach3, the discrete i/o seem to work fine and i can see that the MPG is pulsing the Modio. In the mp-03 page screen i can see the 'sych val' changing as i jog the MPG. Im not sure where else i can look for configurations. I feel like i am missing the plugin for the modio unit. All i have is the mp-03 plugin but i cannot setup the configurations for the registers for the modio as they are done in the tutorial videos on the mach site. Am i missing something obvious here?

I have the exact same problem, I have tried and tried to get to the bottom of this but to no avail. I get the LCD reading position if I move the axis with hotkeys. I can't get the 12 position switches to do anything, their values go up and down from near 0 to approx 912, same with the feed rate pot. The emergency stop works, the MPG lights blink away merrily, I get none of the lights lighting up although the LEDs on the board do when the button is pressed.

There seems to be a great gap of knowledge between those who can get these units working and those who can't. Yes I followed the schematic to the letter, I even discovered an error in the wiring for the DB9 plug.

I'm tempted to rebuild the unit without all the bells and whistles and just try and get it working as an MPG, there must be something I am missing.

i had to change the range values in the mp-03 plug-in setup so that they suited the values i was getting from the switches (check the mp-03 page bottom right corner to see these values) after i did that i was able to get the switch to cycle through the axis selections and thus get the MPG to work. Also make sure that the switches are connected to the correct input pin, the schematic did not quite match the plugin in that the 12 pos switch was controlling FRO, this can also be done in the mp-03 page tab.

Page 4 of 6 23456