587,486 active members*
3,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS VF-E initial problems, need help please...

HAAS VF-E initial problems, need help please...

Hello all,

Forgive my ignorance if I come off sounding like a jackass as this is my first VMC. I purchased a 1997 Haas VF-E from an auction and am working on getting it up and running. So far all I have working is the tool release, chip auger, coolant on/off.

My first big concern is when I turn the spindle CW 100% on I hear an audible click, the load meter goes up to about 35-40% but he spindle does not turn.

My door switch is not working so I am working on replacing that but my question for now is will the spindle turn if the "door hold" is shown on the screen?

There are no errors as well.

On a machine that old you can run the spindle with the door open. There is a Setting #51 that turns on the Door Hold over ride.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    On a machine that old you can run the spindle with the door open. There is a Setting #51 that turns on the Door Hold over ride.
    Thank you, I will give that a shot and see if the spindle starts to spin.

You must program a spindle speed in MDI or in a program for it to just turn on. If you just power up the machine and hit spindle Forward or Reverse it will go no where.

Go to MDI mode and just type S1000 M03, then hit the start cycle button. After that you can start and stop and reverse the spindle and change speed within your machine capacity % wise.

Beware that if your last programmed speed in your program was 7500 rpm and you hit spindle CW while setting stuff up, the spindle will go to 7500 and not the 1000 you have in MDI. This you need to know for setting things up and expecting the spindle to go to 1000 rpm while say using an edge finder. You must go back to MDI and then hit start again to change the rpm back to the slower 1000. This mistake can really tear up some tools and indicators, which is why they have doors!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    You must program a spindle speed in MDI or in a program for it to just turn on. If you just power up the machine and hit spindle Forward or Reverse it will go no where.

Go to MDI mode and just type S1000 M03, then hit the start cycle button. After that you can start and stop and reverse the spindle and change speed within your machine capacity % wise.

Beware that if your last programmed speed in your program was 7500 rpm and you hit spindle CW while setting stuff up, the spindle will go to 7500 and not the 1000 you have in MDI. This you need to know for setting things up and expecting the spindle to go to 1000 rpm while say using an edge finder. You must go back to MDI and then hit start again to change the rpm back to the slower 1000. This mistake can really tear up some tools and indicators, which is why they have doors!

Mike
    Renishaw probe tips do not like that scenario either.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Renishaw probe tips do not like that scenario either.
    I bet! I know the two co-axial indicators I used to have years and years ago didn't!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28