587,858 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Finally finished the X2 powerdraw bar!!!

Finally finished the X2 powerdraw bar!!!

Well nothing is ever finished but atleast it is working now. I have everything going through the tumbler right now to polish up and debur everything. Total cost was 63 dollars and the butterfly impact is on sale for 18.95. I am picking up another one for tapping.

The hardest part of this project was just trying to line it up so that the socket would slam down in the right place. I think if I moved to a 12pt socket rather than a 6pt it would go a lot smoother.

Just a special note: If you do do this project I highly recommend that you dont use it with more that 40psi from the compressor. Anything over 40psi can easily turn the spindle in your hands with the cutting tool in the collet. I have mine set for 35psi in the video so it has more than enough power to draw the bar up.

Enjoy the Video, If it say that it is no longer available it because it is still processing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4Br40055g"]YouTube - MOV02731[/ame]

Nice job, and yes, I think I would give the drawbar hex a lead-in type chamfer to help align things-

Dave
    Dave->..

I'm not sure if the X2 drawbar is hardened but I know from experience that misalignment will strip that hex fairly quickly if used often. On my bridgeport at work I've gone through 3 drawbars in about a year. So i ordered a hard one and it still takes a beating, but is lasting allot longer.

Well after a little time thinking about the chamfering I looked at the Hex head on the draw bar. It seems after a year of beating it down with a wrench had mushroomed it outwards. I will file it down tomorrow and give it another go.

I never knew what I was missing but if I went back to using the wrench again I dont think I would be a happy camper. Hoss must have it really nice with an ATC.

Starleper, What is the PSI set for the impact wrench. When I was trying out 90psi it was way to much for the little mill. I was cringing from the amount of force the Impact was hitting into the drawbar. 35psi while it does still hit hard it doesnt seem to have enough torque to do damage but enought to snug up the collet nice and tight.

HOLY smokes that is very neat to watch. it looks like a claymation or something it moves so fast. Thanks for the video we ALWAYS enjoy videos

Very nice. I may have missed it before... did you do this from plans or is it self designed?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
    Well after a little time thinking about the chamfering I looked at the Hex head on the draw bar. It seems after a year of beating it down with a wrench had mushroomed it outwards. I will file it down tomorrow and give it another go.

I never knew what I was missing but if I went back to using the wrench again I dont think I would be a happy camper. Hoss must have it really nice with an ATC.

Starleper, What is the PSI set for the impact wrench. When I was trying out 90psi it was way to much for the little mill. I was cringing from the amount of force the Impact was hitting into the drawbar. 35psi while it does still hit hard it doesnt seem to have enough torque to do damage but enought to snug up the collet nice and tight.
    I believe it is set in the ball park of 60psi

Brass Machine, Although I would like to call it my own ideal some one had beat me to the punch. I did end up buying these plans but made alot of changes to make the build easier, cheaper. http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/cheap_drawbar.htm

You can read more about it here to. http://cnccookbook.com/CCMillDrawbar.html

With a little bit of reading and asking a few questions I feel you dont need the instructions, but your more than able to buy them.