587,238 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > CNCFusion Deluxe Kit and setup with Mach3

CNCFusion Deluxe Kit and setup with Mach3

Hello!

I had to change from LinuxCNC to Mach3 over the fact LinuxCNC only support G93 Inverse Timing for angular axis. Once I added the 4th axis, a Sherline PN 3700 rotary table to my X3 LinuxCNC became unusable because my CAM software doesn't support it. Mach3 was cheaper than upgrading my CAM software so now I have to figure out how to configure Mach3!

I use stepper motors with 200 steps like everyone else so I need to know what some of you guys put into the "steps per unit" field to get yours working. Especially the Z axis numbers would be great.

I can't believe I pay for software and it has such terrible user experience compared to the free stuff! LinuxCNC may have only supported RS274NGC but at least its user interface was great for configuring. I think I spent like 20 minutes setting up LinuxCNC as a complete noob. Here, a year later I know so much more and I'm just lost with the Mach3 stuff. I have to make this work since its the only way that 4 axis is going to get used anytime soon!

So, any help or pointers would be great! Also, I know the ballscrews are metric but I want to set this up as imperial. Any pointers or actual numbers would be great. The function in Mach3 to move the axis and measure the distance returns a different number every time so either my gauge is wrong or I'm way out in the weeds on some other parameter!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    Hello!

I had to change from LinuxCNC to Mach3 over the fact LinuxCNC only support G93 Inverse Timing for angular axis. Once I added the 4th axis, a Sherline PN 3700 rotary table to my X3 LinuxCNC became unusable because my CAM software doesn't support it. Mach3 was cheaper than upgrading my CAM software so now I have to figure out how to configure Mach3!

I use stepper motors with 200 steps like everyone else so I need to know what some of you guys put into the "steps per unit" field to get yours working. Especially the Z axis numbers would be great.

I can't believe I pay for software and it has such terrible user experience compared to the free stuff! LinuxCNC may have only supported RS274NGC but at least its user interface was great for configuring. I think I spent like 20 minutes setting up LinuxCNC as a complete noob. Here, a year later I know so much more and I'm just lost with the Mach3 stuff. I have to make this work since its the only way that 4 axis is going to get used anytime soon!

So, any help or pointers would be great! Also, I know the ballscrews are metric but I want to set this up as imperial. Any pointers or actual numbers would be great. The function in Mach3 to move the axis and measure the distance returns a different number every time so either my gauge is wrong or I'm way out in the weeds on some other parameter!

thanks!
    I always thought Mach 3 was easy to set up. You need to know the pitch of the screw for setting it up in either metric or imperial. plus you need to know if your using micro-stepping. there is a way to do it in Mach 3 if things were oddball there is a calibration somewhere I forget where that you can tell it to move a certain distance. Measure with dial indicator And then type in the actual distance it moved and it will automatically set the steps for that access look at the Mach 3 website look at the user manual

Quote Originally Posted by dick cnc View Post
    I always thought Mach 3 was easy to set up. You need to know the pitch of the screw for setting it up in either metric or imperial. plus you need to know if your using micro-stepping. there is a way to do it in Mach 3 if things were oddball there is a calibration somewhere I forget where that you can tell it to move a certain distance. Measure with dial indicator And then type in the actual distance it moved and it will automatically set the steps for that access look at the Mach 3 website look at the user manual
    I have to apologize. I was just grumpy. It requires a lot of thought to get up and running with these silly machines. As a UI/UX Architect at my day job I guess I can't expect everyone else to adhere to the strict principles of usability or I'd be out of work, right?

I have it all set up and running now but it was a bit harder that it could have been. What I think is funny is it took longer to explain it in the manual than it would have taken to write a form to process the information for you. As an artist turned programmer I am sometimes amazed at how much work an engineer's seemly grand shortcut creates. The ROI in making everything a single field was negated by the customer service calls, manual writing, answering forums, making videos and pissing off customers.

All that said, just remember this; Make it idiot proof and somebody will make a better idiot.