587,770 active members*
3,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNCFUSION Deluxe kit--Increase axes travel

CNCFUSION Deluxe kit--Increase axes travel

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Good job CR. I saw your note on the Y that CNC Fusion kits will come standard with a retainer, mine did.

Just wanted to let new users know, make sure that screw is on tight! Take it off and Loctite it, whatever. Otherwise it will unscrew itself when you hit the physical travel limit. Don't ask me how I know, this New Year's Eve...not having yet set soft limits or installed limit switches...(chair)

Thanks rez! Happy New Year!

Good thing you didn't lose your balls.

I used a lockwasher on mine.

I just updated that site with spacer block dimensions & material source. Also, there was an error on the extended Y screw length--Needs to be 1 1/4" longer--NOT 3/4" longer.

CR.

Happy New Year! I didn't have a chance to read in detail on your site, will do that when things have settled down. Lots of good info for sure.

I hope I didn't lose any! I was jogging the table forward and heard a pop, and saw the bolt and washer sitting on the base but not any balls. I retrieved 16 balls so far that were all just sitting inside the ballnut housing.

Teyber had the same thing happen in one of his threads, but there was no mention of how many balls there are.

Major new developments:

1. Now possible to increase X travel to 20 inches.

2. Much easier method of increasing Z travel with ANY existing CNCFusion kit ball screw. Only requires trimming some of cover top and installing spacer on top of Z screw.

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_34.html

3. If there is enough interest, I might consider marketing 2 bolt-on kits, complete with all necessary travel extension hardware.

The only hole that would need drilling is the one at the base of the column for the Y screw to go into.

A: Retrofit for existing CNCFusion deluxe ball screws.
    B: Kit for Custom cut new CNCFusion deluxe ball screws.

Kit Travels:
    X= 20 inches
    Y= 8 inches
    z= 18 inches.

Email me if you are interested. Just add "at" a o l period c o m to my name.

CR.

just read every word and the detail is amazing on the write up, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    just read every word and the detail is amazing on the write up, well done!
    Thanks, Teyber!

NEWS:

CNCFusion and I have finalized the CR extended travels deluxe kit.

Since our new method of increasing travel is so much easier and involves so much less work--This will be the ONLY version. There is no longer an option for a longer Z screw.

The CR Z ball screw will now come with a snap ring groove on top to prevent losing balls if the nut overruns the end of the screw. This will limit total travel gained to about 2 3/4 inches, but well worth it in labor savings. If you want the FULL travel, you will have to make a short 1/2" ID spacer with OD the same size as the cardboard tube, to float on top of the ball screw and prevent losing balls.

With this method, everything bolts up as normal and you only have to trim back the top of the cover a little--NOT raise it up.

The standard deluxe Y screw now comes with a snap ring on end to prevent losing balls from THAT axis. The extended version will come the same. These snap rings use a 1 1/4" washer. It's a liability thing for Michael. He doesn't want to supply a part that could possibly damage the ball screw wiper, so he made the restraining washer large enough to contact the nut itself.

In order to extend the Y travel, YOU, the customer must bear the liability of using a smaller washer so the screw can enter under the column. The liability is actually very low. You would have to have a powerful servo driving the Y axis, Have it run wild into the ball nut, and have NO limit switch or soft limits set.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by rezcar View Post
    Good job CR. I saw your note on the Y that CNC Fusion kits will come standard with a retainer, mine did.

Just wanted to let new users know, make sure that screw is on tight! Take it off and Loctite it, whatever. Otherwise it will unscrew itself when you hit the physical travel limit. Don't ask me how I know, this New Year's Eve...not having yet set soft limits or installed limit switches...(chair)
    The Y screws no longer come with a threaded bolt retainer. They will now come with a 1/2 inch journal and snap ring groove, plus a 1 1/4" washer.

CR.

CR with the y axis to extend do you just need to replace the 1.25" washer that comes with the fusion kit with a smaller one and if so is it to pass through the bottom of the column where you have to drill it out

Quote Originally Posted by cornbinder23 View Post
    CR with the y axis to extend do you just need to replace the 1.25" washer that comes with the fusion kit with a smaller one and if so is it to pass through the bottom of the column where you have to drill it out
    Yes, unless you really want to make a 1 3/8" hole in the bottom of your column. I really don't think the larger washer is needed if you have either limit switches or soft limits.

I'm going to make a 2" riser block for mine. I like the idea of 20" of Z. I will machine the opening for the Y into the riser, and then no column drilling will be needed.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Yes, unless you really want to make a 1 3/8" hole in the bottom of your column. I really don't think the larger washer is needed if you have either limit switches or soft limits.

I'm going to make a 2" riser block for mine. I like the idea of 20" of Z. I will machine the opening for the Y into the riser, and then no column drilling will be needed.

CR.
    is having that much Z travel important I see alot of talk about insufficient Z travels I think 18" would be plenty for me but then again,what do you use 20" of Z on, on this little mill. I like your idea of the spacer block with the relief cut into it that sounds pretty clean
    what material will be used for this spacer