587,092 active members*
4,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc indexer and lath combo

I was wonder if any user have try to get the best of both worlds high speed cnc lathe and cnc index with router setup.... as see in video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ZXzeScHx4&feature=related"]YouTube- Fluted Stair balsuter[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hASG9f6BLRU&feature=related"]YouTube- barley twist stair baluster[/ame]

Im trying to figure out the best and simplest way
    to disengage the the 2 drive system that would required..( motor / stepper drive) with out ripping apart the head stock for change overs

I'm thinking big servo...

I am planning to start up the same after completing my Plasma build. We could share some ideas. What machine are you going to convert, or a scratch built one.

Vishnu

Quote Originally Posted by vishnu View Post
    I am planning to start up the same after completing my Plasma build. We could share some ideas. What machine are you going to convert, or a scratch built one.

Vishnu
    my thought are to design it in to my future 5x10 cnc router...
    the lathe would design to handle large work pcs like 10-12 inch columns 9-10 feet long. see the attach photo of legacy om5 design .... It would be simular idea but the cnc would be a build different.

the servo idea is good, but i also need a indexer and gear box cus i would like to do corbells and carving on all asort of stuff....

I was think of using a rotary plater gear head.. like picture attached but with a bigger stepper.... the shaft of the chuck would go threw the center of the bore hole. The bore hole of the indexed would be keyed in a way to
    engaged .. sliding on mounted track thus " engage or disengage the index via a locking cam arm..." notice the large bore hole in the gear head.

This would allow the indexer to back off from the keyed shaft..
    to use high speed ac or servo motor. or Locked in place as need for slow indexing ... In index mode the index would be power just by the stepper motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails om5.jpg   gear head.jpg