587,300 active members*
3,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport CNC toolholders

Hello,
    I've got access to two Bridgeport CNC's with dead BOSS controls and stepper motors on them. I'm looking into trying to put on a new control on one or both.

What is the tool holder (#30 taper I read somewhere) that is needed to fit these things? Can you still buy them? Where? Is there more than one type of spindle that Bridgeport used on these older cnc's or all they all the "quick change collar" type?

The spindle has the "quick change" collar that you have to align with the toolholder and tighten with a spanner wrench that draws the tool up into the spindle taper.

Just wondering, if I can't find toolholders then they are worthless to me. Thanks.

Check out Ajaxcnc.com they have a very good conversion for the bosses. most likely you have nmbt 30 toolholders and yes they are still available, watch ebay. i have a milltronics partner 2 with the ajax conversion and #30 toolholders and i use a power drawbar much faster that the quickchange. Todd

Power drawbar huh?

I was under the impression that the rotating collar at the nose of the spindle was what drew and seated the taper into the spindle. With a drawbar the collar would be redundant and useless. I'm thinking there must be different spindles on some models. Can you/anybody clarify?

The nmbt quick change tooling has 1/2 13 thds so instead of the collar and a wrench i use a drawbar. if you use the collar the toolholders you get have to be specific to the quick change you have, as the the flange thickness that the collar use varies by brand. not an issue with the drawbar, you can use any nmbt 30 toolholders

Ahhh I see.

So the collar isn't used at all, if you use the drawbar. As I said the machines are in another location and I didn't look for a drawbar when I inspected them.

I've got a lathe, so I guess making a draw bar with 1/2-20 thds wouldn't be to much issue. Thanks for all the info people.

Check to make sure, you may have Quick Switch 200. You wont need a power drawbar if you have QS holders. QS has a solid spindle, not hollow. A wrench is not needed to tighten them, and only needed to open them, if you have programmed to heavy of a cut. QS200, & QS300 are available from Universal Engineering (also others). Look in MSC book.

quick change

I have a retrofitted Bridgeport with the same configuration and I love the quick change.It literaly takes 20 sec to cjange t he tool.1/2 turn and it lines up and slips in then 1/3 turn and its tight.don't be too quick to discard it.

Hey,
    At this point the speed at which tools are changed is unimportant. All I'm trying to do is find any toolholders that fit in the machine, as none came with the machine. I would prefer to use the quick change collar vs. a drawbar, but it just depends on whether I can find the right toolholders.

Check out MSC's big blue book they carry end mill holders and collet holders for that machine.

manual M-122

I have a Retrofitted Series II CNC with quick change 2J variable speed head. Erickson makes a copy of this and the NMTB #30 tooling has been copied by several companies over the years.

Here is some info right out of my book;

The Bridgeport Tooling package code is #1-57-0003
    (says this is for a Series I N/C machine, but it matches mine too)

#30 Quick Change Spindle Bridgeport # 1-57-0000
    It is 21 11/32 long approx and the spindle end is 2 3/4 Dia.

#30 Quick-Change holder Bridgeport #1-57-0001 W/#R-8 MTG

If you need any other numbers or specs, E-mail me. The book has all the tooling sizes and tooling numbers that will work with that unit. The Erickson numbers are different. They can be cross refrenced.

Thanks,
    Kenny
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

Hello,
    The machine I have is very similar (if not exactly) to the one in this Ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...816048754&rd=1

I did some looking through J&L and MSC and saw some #30 taper quick change holders. At the small end of the taper (where the drawbar would go) there is a short length of straight diameter. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a flange with 2 opposing notches cut out (lines up with the tangs in the spindle).

In the Ebay ad above, there is a picture of some tooling included with the mill. It is kinda hard to see, but the tapered shank is tapered all the way, and looks like it's built to take a pull stud like CAT 40/50 holders. Furthermore, this tooling has no flange, but just 2 tangs.

LOOK in MSC 2003/2004 book.
    Page 1603, left hand side, second topic down.
    Do you see the RS series 200 and 300 series.
    RS must stand for rapid switch compared to quick switch (patd.) as when identifing Universal tooling.
    I can't say as to whether this RS tooling will have the same taper, etc., etc. as Universal Quick Switch tooling, but you can see the design type of this tooling at least.

I've always bought the origional as shown below:
    Origional Quick Switch tooling made by Universal can be purchased through Tooling Swstems Division.
    Phone: 1-800-TSD-3221
    LOOK www.toolingsystems.com

Originally posted by snaggletto
    Hello,
    The machine I have is very similar (if not exactly) to the one in this Ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...816048754&rd=1

I did some looking through J&L and MSC and saw some #30 taper quick change holders. At the small end of the taper (where the drawbar would go) there is a short length of straight diameter. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a flange with 2 opposing notches cut out (lines up with the tangs in the spindle).

In the Ebay ad above, there is a picture of some tooling included with the mill. It is kinda hard to see, but the tapered shank is tapered all the way, and looks like it's built to take a pull stud like CAT 40/50 holders. Furthermore, this tooling has no flange, but just 2 tangs.

Most BP cnc machines came with NMTB 30 taper. This style can still be purchased from msc and on ebay, but most manufacturers of new machines this size use Cat 40. The auction shown above went dirt cheap for a Series 1 with tooling. The tooling appears to be Universal Quik-Switch 200, which was an option. The Universal tooling is a little nicer. I don't think that it uses pull studs, as the two tangs hold them into the spindle.