587,786 active members*
2,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Bridgeport cnc conversion?

I have a standard Southbend/ Bridgeport clone 9x49 mill, I was wondering if anybody has converted one to full 3 axis cnc. I'm sure that there is someone that has had success doing this. I've searched everywhere on this site with no luck. Please help. I'm wanting to go with servo motors, but the steppers are more in my price range. I think the gecko drives is what I'd use with maybe steppers in the 1200 in/oz range.

There are different conversions out there depending upon your needs. The easier ones are to replace an aging control. All the mechanics for the drives are already engineered. You want to start from scratch. I remember that we used to have a tech from ANILAM come in and put an entire conversion including ball screws and a "crusader" control on a new series 1 standard. I am trying to remember if that included a Z (quill) drive similar to the one sold by ELROD. I believe it did. That may be something to "google".

George W.

My service tech in TN put a ACU-RITE conversion on a Series 1 standard about 4 years ago. They may also have a kit.

George W.

Retrofit Kit for your mill

Quote Originally Posted by Bryscnc
    I have a standard Southbend/ Bridgeport clone 9x49 mill, I was wondering if anybody has converted one to full 3 axis cnc. I'm sure that there is someone that has had success doing this. I've searched everywhere on this site with no luck. Please help. I'm wanting to go with servo motors, but the steppers are more in my price range. I think the gecko drives is what I'd use with maybe steppers in the 1200 in/oz range.
    Hello
    Go to www.elrodmachine.com they have the hardware for your project and also have a complete package as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryscnc
    I gather since you mention steppers that you'll concerned about price and are considering an open loop system, if so then see the last 4 issues or so of Home Shop Machinist.

For closed loop control systems, then the other posts to your message are considerations at a higher cost. Maybe check out Ah-Ha out of Minneapolis, MN.

Let's us know what you do.

nice stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by elrodmac
    Hello
    Go to www.elrodmachine.com they have the hardware for your project and also have a complete package as well!
    You have some nice stuff on your site but its very pricey. If this were the route I was going to go I'd just buy a used cnc machine the whole purpose is a low cost conversion and I'm sorry to say that theres is nothing low cost at this site. Thanks Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    I gather since you mention steppers that you'll concerned about price and are considering an open loop system, if so then see the last 4 issues or so of Home Shop Machinist.

For closed loop control systems, then the other posts to your message are considerations at a higher cost. Maybe check out Ah-Ha out of Minneapolis, MN.

Let's us know what you do.
    Thanks for the info, I've read every page (over and over) on the universal cnc controller from HSM. Its provided me with valuable info and it nice to see someone else going through the same situation as me. Any info I gather I will share with everybody. Thanks again.

I'm thinking of going this route.
    http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Supr...fit%20Kit.html
    Anyone care to comment or offer any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Barry

I have retrofitted my Boss NC with an Ah-ha system. The power/driver unit is bulletproof. The software isn't as fancy as mach2 but it gets the job done. I have built many parts without any problems. They have pretty good tech support too. It's almost like plug and play. You could get everything you need for about 5G.

I have converted 2 Bridgeports to CNC with my home grown design. You can see some pictures here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~chrisbruno/cnc_bridgeport.htm

and buy the plans here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~chrisbruno/SRcnckitplans.htm

Enjoy!
    -Chris Bruno

This may be a bit late to be of value but still could be useful.

He has professional Cad drawings for the XYZ motor attachment plates that he will send for just asking for them.

http://www.cbliss.com/CAD/cad.htm