587,642 active members*
3,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Bearing load question

In my application I need to use fixed bearing with vertical shaft. I will have a axial load of 3Kg and I am having trouble calculating if the bearing will be able to support the load.

I would like to use most standard ball bearing:
    d=30 mm
    D=62 mm
    height: 16 mm
    Base load dynamic: 14 600 N
    Base load static: 8 400 N

I am not sure what the last 2 mean in real world application.. will it be able to support that axial load?
    Thanks

The dynamic and static loads are theoretically derived values that are used reliably to CALCULATE the life via the manufacturers load/life calculations.

The reason why axial capacity is NOT published is the bearings are not designed to accept axial load. The raceway sides are not necessarily prepared to support load, at least not like the root of the raceway.

The only bearings that have axial thrust capability to carry load are TRUE angular contact bearings. The more the thrust that needs to be tolerated, the higher the contact angle you should use.

Can a typical ball bearing be used with axial thrust? yes.

HOw much" 1 or 2% of the rated capacity are normal for axial preloading for precise operation. Above that sort of becomes an "I dunno, see how much you can get away with". sort of deal.

Check out your bearing suppliers load/life calc handbooks. A lot to learn there,

If a load life scenario is not presened for a loading situration, it is not a situation that one can reliably calculate a life for.

A 6206 bearing will easily handle 3kg without damage. Hopefully you don't need a lot of accuracy.

As for those load ratings, I think you mixed up the dynamic and static load ratings.

Static rating (usually the higher number): in the case of a radial BB, the amount of radial force the bearing will take before components take on permanent damage.

Dynamic rating: a constant used to calculate life. It's not a "limit". The lower the load, the longer the life.