587,462 active members*
3,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > newbie Quest. Basic Static Load on Linear Bearing Block kNewton ?

newbie Quest. Basic Static Load on Linear Bearing Block kNewton ?

I have a basic questions about linear bearing block specification.
    It says Basic Static Load is say 20kNewton, What's that means ?

Does it means the maximum I can put load on the top of 1 linear block is 20 Ton ?
    is it 20 Ton ? I'm sure i'm wrong.
    anyone can explain ?

regards
    rud

nevermind I got it
    20N is 20x.1020=approx 2 ton

is this per block ? wow

Could somebody please explain in layman's terms?

How, what, why, where, when?

This feels very left field but worth learning about.

Andy

What that means is that that bearing block will support 20,000 Newtons which is the metric measurement for weight. Lots of people use kilograms as a metric measurement for weight, but that is incorrect. Kilograms are a measurement of mass not weight. This 20,000 Newtons equates to approximately 4496 pounds. Each of the bearing trucks will support a static (non-moving) load of 4500 pounds. the block will support less than that with a moment load (twisting) or a dynamic load (moving) which is what we deal with when talking about CNC machines. Do not make the mistake of multiplying the static load by the number of slide bearing trucks and thinking you can support 450,000 pounds with 10 trucks, it does not work that way. There is much more to designing a CNC system than meets the eye. This is definitely engineering. Most people avoid the engineering by overbuilding everything. Engineering will allow you to build a machine with the lightest and least expensive components. Your question was sort of like "How do you build a suspension bridge, I want to know the trick". It isn't a trick, it is lots of math and lots of work. I think the easiest way to solve your problem would be to describe the machine you are intent on building, including the components you are intending to use then ask the people in here if they are heavy duty enough. Good luck.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Static load is maximum amount of force that can be applied to the block before the components deform. It's the least important spec.

You want to pay attention to dynamic load rating and moment load ratings. Dynamic load rating is a number used to calculate life expectancy of the bearing blocks. Moment load rating is self explanatory.