587,124 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question ZX45 Motor replacement

so I got a bonus from work and wanting to upgrade the motor on my ZX45 as I planned but the one I found here: https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...p-p-16246.html doesn't appear to be available.

I still want to stick with a drop in replacement with the idea that I could upgrade to a belt drive later.

on another note... Does anyone have any idea on how to keep the head in tram? seems like I hit some hard vibrations cutting steel a couple weeks ago (still learning some feed rates and probably need to choose tooling better) those 3 bolts don't seem to hold for anything. I already swapped out the bolts due to severe warpage when the mill arrived. those things were soft as butter, I suppose the bolts and washers may be in the same state as the nuts were.

I replace the bolts because the stock ones are not even flair head so they dig into the casting and will chip it if tightened much. One just striped out totally one day.

I bought some replacements from McMasters.

McMaster-Carr

The heads need to be turned down because they are too tall and then two flats milled on the flair. They are a much nicer bolt a good place to spend a few bucks.

It was the 65mm L

Dont forget the nuts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91005a039/=qonh0t

That flair nut is really a nice part.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

I got Fastenal just up the road from me so that will be a quick run, thanks for the suggestions.

looking up the stock motor info I figured out it's a B5 mount, and the frame size 71. so I'm trying to figure out if all B5 mounts are the same or if the frame size changes that. using the search features on some of these motor suppliers is not exactly informative.

ok so based on this PDF I have to stick with the 71 frame size in order to maintain the same mounting options http://www1.universalrewind.com/Uplo...Dimensions.pdf

ok I think some serious bastardization by the Chinese took place for the stock motor. everything tells me this motor should be a size 90 frame to be 2HP spec, yet the B5 flange is definitely a 71 after measuring it and specs from alibaba among other websites say it's a 71 as well. I can't seem to find a 71 frame motor that is 3600 RPM 2HP 3Ph........

NVM I just reread the sheet I posted earlier and remeasured, this is definitely a 90 frame motor! so I will order accordingly.

BTW if you never pulled the motor when you installed it, I highly suggest you do if you can. I found a signifigant amount of rust accumulating and the shaft on the motor started to chip next to the key.

The flange is B5 but the motor shaft has been turned down to 19mm. I don' think any stock motor comes that way at least with that shaft size. I forget the key size.

A 56C face with a adapter plate might be easier to fine. I could make up a adapter plate fairly easy. I have a few extra motor plates with the pockets on the wrong side I could make use of for free.

If you pull the motor apart and leave the bearings on the rotor I could turn it down. I have a steady rest on my lather for that. I did that for a 4HP on my mill and it was fairly easy.

The mill does do much better with the 3650 motor but is sure is louder too.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The flange is B5 but the motor shaft has been turned down to 19mm. I don' think any stock motor comes that way at least with that shaft size. I forget the key size.

A 56C face with a adapter plate might be easier to fine. I could make up a adapter plate fairly easy. I have a few extra motor plates with the pockets on the wrong side I could make use of for free.

If you pull the motor apart and leave the bearings on the rotor I could turn it down. I have a steady rest on my lather for that. I did that for a 4HP on my mill and it was fairly easy.

The mill does do much better with the 3650 motor but is sure is louder too.
    thanks for pointing out the shaft size issue, talk about bastardized! roughly .7475 for the stock shaft and .94 for a 90 frame series. I was considering getting this but obviously turning the shaft down is a factor http://attachments.temcoindustrialpo...-192211.00.pdf

From what I have seen any of the American branded motors run smoother then the China motors.

I ran my stock IH motor on the bench and it scared the crap out of me with its vibration.

Then I found a 3HP Larson NIB for $105 shipped and was a happy camper.

I did look for motors the other day and didn't see anything that was a deal. The 3hp name brand can be pricey.

That motor looks fine but the shaft will need to be turned still and I bet it is full list.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    From what I have seen any of the American branded motors run smoother then the China motors.

I ran my stock IH motor on the bench and it scared the crap out of me with its vibration.

Then I found a 3HP Larson NIB for $105 shipped and was a happy camper.

I did look for motors the other day and didn't see anything that was a deal. The 3hp name brand can be pricey.

That motor looks fine but the shaft will need to be turned still and I bet it is full list.
    after shipping it is $307. it's an american company but there is some speculation on whether or not they manufacture in china
    looking at the 56C dimensions that's a whole other problem shaft diameter is actually too small at .625 http://www.omega.com/Auto/pdf/OMAT_Series.pdf

A lot of the the motors are "pump" motors and have short 5/8" shafts.

Take your time I have seen many really nice motors go for a good price. On of the guys buying a belt drive got a smoking deal on a black max 3hp VFD motor for like $150 or so. A 3HP is not a bad idea either.

something like this?

doing the last bit of measuring the shaft is equal to a D80
    motorsanddrives.com - Metric Motors

so you have a D90 series B5 flange with a D80 shaft, and somewhere according to the Chinese 71 framing on the internals.
    Now I understand why most seem to abandon it all and just go belt drive.

I have a Chinese mill/drill too, well actually two in my shop. One of them is a lathemaster 45 that I converted to CNC the other is a benign 45 made in Taiwan. I replaced the motor on the benign machine with a 3phase motor made by Leeson, I think I paid over a hundred bucks for it new. It works very good, quiet and smooth. Those Chinese machines are sub par poor quality. I think we (USA) could manufacture machines like those with the same primitive quality and materials as the Chinese do and sell them for the same price! You get what you pay for, nothing more.

I think we (USA) could manufacture machines like those with the same primitive quality and materials as the Chinese do and sell them for the same price! You get what you pay for, nothing more.
    Then wouldn't we get the same crap just made here?
    No, you get what you pay for; it doesn't matter where you get it from at that price.

The black max is nice but it is a 1750 motor rated for 3650. This is the most common VFD motor setup as they make the best low end torque. It will make less power at 3650 than a two pole standard motor by at least 50%.

If your running the stock gear box and want higher speeds then get a 3650 RPM motor. You will still have the gearbox to give you low speed power and it can over rev to 5K easy.

On my mill I found second High speed on the gear box ran much quieter that high. If you did the same thing you might end up running the motor at 4500 or so and get 3500 or about out of the mill.

Bill South offered to look at a Leeson 2HP 3 phase he's got laying around from his old Lathemaster ZAY. if the shaft matches I may consider it. I was looking for a 2HP originally when I stumbled across that 3HP. although 3 does sound nice... (hush's up that Tim Taylor inside)

Still looking around keeping my options open, came across this one on ebay. $100 or so cheaper than the other one I found but it's also a used motor from Ebay.. Sew 3 HP DT90L2F 90 Frame Motor MOT2099 | eBay

You want the foot to come off.

That motor looks to have been running 24/7 for the last 8 years or so. i don't think a really used 10 year old motor is worth quite that much.

Hey Guys;
    I've tried responding to draconzny via pm but I think the companys security is getting involved in my internet. The shaft size for the leeson is .75" OD by 1.6" long which matched the dimensions I needed for the RF45 lathemaster. Motor is practically new and is listed as 2900 RPM which I'm assuming to be 3450 RPM via overclock vfd. I never ran it that fast with the old gearing, prior to the arizonavideo direct drive upgrade where I upgraded to 3hp.
    Which leads me to a question for arizona. Do you have a source for the splined adapters you sell with your rf45 kits. I can't remember if it was a purchased part or if you fabricate it locally. I need something similar for a drawbar design I'm finishing for RF45 type mills.
    Thanks guys.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Hi Bill;

I didnt see the motor your talking about?

I make the splined spindle for the belt drive. Lots of fun that part is. I have to do some more this week.

Page 1 of 2 12