587,281 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Z height offset and tool change problems

Z height offset and tool change problems

I've just started working with a Fadal VMC4020 with the 88HS control. I have a couple questions I would like input on.

First, we would like to set tools using a standard block/gage on the table surface and use the Z-height offset to set the part surface reference. I tried this when setting up the first job without success. The tool either wanted to rapid to the touch off height way below the part surface or when inputting a positive number representing the difference in height from the part surface to the touch off block the Z would over travel. What is the best way to set this machine so that once a tool is touched off we won't need to do it again when switching set ups?

Second, when running parts the machine will run fine for a little while then when a tool change is commanded the spindle will return to the tool change position and appears to want to orientate but doesn't seem to " lock in" to an oriented position. The control gives an error message that axis doesn't communicate with NC. What could be the problem here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Z height offset and tool change problems

If the z value is greater than 4.0 inches in the fixture offset, then you will need to combine the fixture offset and the tool length offset on the first motion line. I use a tool probe to establish the length of all the tools so that when I set up any job all I have to do is calculate the difference in Z height from the tool probe to the top of the part (Z zero) and put that number in the fixture offset. It would be the same for a tool block on the table. The typical first line of motion for any tool would look something like this:

G0G90 X1.Y0 Z2. E1H1M3
    If I split the X,Y move from the Z move and the fixture offset Z value is greater than 4.0 inches then the machine will hit the Z limit on the X,Y move:
    G0G90 X1.Y0E1 (CRASH!!!@&*$$)
    Z2.H1
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

Re: Z height offset and tool change problems

Thank you for the response! I will give that a try.