587,663 active members*
3,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z Axis Running Away

Hi All:

I’m new to all this, but I have a problem with my new IH. Got it all put together and started moving the axis, tuning the motors and all, things were going good, but I soon discovered my limit switches were not working, after playing around for awhile I got the X --and X home to work. Next I disconnected all but the X axis limit inputs to my LTP1 port and turned on the power. The Z axis started to move down all on its own, not real fast, and not smooth, I had to hit the E stop. So I reconnected everything like I had it, turned on power, same thing chug chug chug moving down. If I disconnect the motor leads to the Gecko that controls the Z axis I can move the X and Y around just fine, real smooth and fast. Limits still do not work, but every time I put power to Z motor down it goes.

Jay

probably have the step and direction inputs reversed

No, I double checked that. Then I reversed them and the Z axis goes up.

From the encoder there is one wire not being used, i had a problem with it as i'm color blind one is brown and the other green, which one are you using ? I had the wrong one and i don't remember which is which right now, it will run away with power if wrong wire is used, it will be an open circuit.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

I'm using the brown. The head does not really run away it moves down then pauses then moves down some more, and continues until I kill power to it. When I reversed the motor leads it would actually move up stop then move up some more. I guess the weight of the head slowed it down even more going up. I bought a new Gecko to try, I will install it tonight and see if that works, if not I got a spare.
    Thanks

Hey Guys:

Replaced the Z axis Gecko, wired it all back up just the way I had it, now all is good, Z runs like a champ. Also last night I talked to the new guy’s at IH about my limits not working, they gave me the solution, now all three limits are working. They seemed like really good guys very enthusiastic and working real hard to get things going.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jay