587,132 active members*
2,998 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Z axis falls down when power turned off.

Z axis falls down when power turned off.

I just replaced the 4 D Cell batteries on the back of my fanuc robodrill t14ia that were dead upon arrival of my used machine I just purchased. That gave me alarm 300,

manual refrence position return is needed for the n-axis ( xyz).

It shows up with alarm 300 for all four axis x,y,z,a.

My problem is when I turn the controller off the z axis immediately begins to lower until you stop it with your hand, then it stays put.

Might not be worth mentioning but my garage wasn`t at room temp, the machine was quite cold when I fired it up.

Thanks.

is there a counter wait in the back of the machine ?

is it still bolted to the machine ,if it has a counter wait they would bolt it to the machine when moving the machine

or you could have a "Z" axis break problem , if it has one

No counterweight on the machine, z axis break problem, what is that and how can I check or fix

Thanks,
    Andrew

most of the time they are on the motor of the axis ,could also be one the screw

I'm wondering if the machine lost it's parameters when you changed the batters

the break should be on when not powered

I know the parameters were lost because the batteries died in the 12months the machine sat before I bought it used. About the brake, I am curious is it something that can be adjusted or what, and is it typically on the servo motor itself?

most of the time it's on the servo motor ,

it looks like a clutch , springs hold it closed when not powered , an electric magnet pulls it open when powered

it could have been damaged from shipping , or stopped work before you had the machine

That makes sense then, do you think it's safe to use the machine in the meantime do some test cuts and run the machine until I can afford to take a look at the problem. Or should I dig around the servo motor and see what I can come up with. Unless it's a big job to take it all apart.

Thanks that does help a lot actually.

if you remove the servo motor make sure you block up "z" axis , or it could crash it to the table

it wouldn't be losing hydralic pressure when powering down? just a thought

Before you take the whole machine to pieces, my FANUC controlled (fanuc servos) has an operator page where I can turn ON and OFF the servo brakes, need to when alligning T1 and T2 axis to home position..

Might be an on/off issue in the control. Now do I know for a fact this is the same in your machine? Nope-read the manual!!

jpwillard

On a Haas there is a CO2 bottle that, when stays pressured, keeps the z-axis from falling.