587,770 active members*
3,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Your opinion on a High Speed (8000- 50,000 RPMs) Spindle for the X1

Hybrid View

Your opinion on a High Speed (8000- 50,000 RPMs) Spindle for the X1

I want to hear some opinions on a 0.4HP high frequency (8000 to 50,000 RPMs) spindle with ER11 collet chuck for the Sieg X1 micro-mill. Minimum or no modifications will be required to the existing hardware, the High Frequency head would replace the quill and current motor/controller/gearbox mechanism.

Thanks in advance,

Kreutz.

How much? There's obviously a market for faster spindle speeds, LMS sells a belt drive kit for $155. But, on an X1, price is going to be a big factor. I bought my X1 partly for the compact size and low shipping weight, but partly because it was low cost.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by darkith View Post
    How much? There's obviously a market for faster spindle speeds, LMS sells a belt drive kit for $155. But, on an X1, price is going to be a big factor. I bought my X1 partly for the compact size and low shipping weight, but partly because it was low cost.

D.
    Our idea is based on a high speed, water cooled, 3 phase motor/spindle driven by our own design high frequency drive. Final cost depends on demand. It will be a lot cheaper than existing heads like Kavo's: http://spindle.info/answers/kavo-hig...hf-spindles/58 , but nevertheless a high precision and quality spindle.

Best regards,

Kreutz

You are targeting just over a $300 machine that isn't known for it's accuracy.
    Anywhere near twice it's price would likely be out of line. I would think that the Taig might be a better platform. Maybe even an X2 or 3. There are some sub $1000 spindles and drives available now. I am considering a high speed spindle on my new conversion/Z build. Much bigger than an X1 though.

You have come to the right place I think for opinions. You will likely get quite a broad range of them.
    Good luck with this.
    Lee

I own a Sieg X1 converted to CNC using the original screws. It is true that it requires a few modifications in order to become a valuable and precise tool but (once modified and properly adjusted) it works like a charm.
    I was also originally attracted to the low price, although mine was a gift from a co-worker. Now it has extended X and Y axes, 3 axis CNCfusion kit for CNC, a spindle belt conversion (using the LMS kit) and 425 oz-in Keling Technology steppers driven by Mardus-Kreutz micro-step drives.
    I have extensively tested it at 120 ipm on the X and Y axis and 90 ipm on the Z (while it was still using the original X/Y table). The missing detail, in order to make it even more useful, was adding a real high speed spindle (8000 - 50,000 RPMs) required to handle small diameter milling bits. I know that the chain of modifications will never end, but so far it has been fun (and I will never regret investing the extra money required to modify and convert it into CNC).

The idea could also be extended to the X2 and X3 (with some modifications) and probably using even higher power spindles (and higher capacity collets, e.g. ER20).

Best regards,

Kreutz.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You are targeting just over a $300 machine that isn't known for it's accuracy.
    Anywhere near twice it's price would likely be out of line. I would think that the Taig might be a better platform. Maybe even an X2 or 3. There are some sub $1000 spindles and drives available now. I am considering a high speed spindle on my new conversion/Z build. Much bigger than an X1 though.

You have come to the right place I think for opinions. You will likely get quite a broad range of them.
    Good luck with this.