587,482 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 6 1234
    It should be the opposite. If you use half micro stepping, it should be 2. You are just dividing the single step pulse by the number of micro steps in that case. So it would be 0 for Full, 2 for 1/2 step, 4 for quarter, and then 8 for 8.

Looking at the heatsinks, you will have 1 set of jumper blocks underneath each one. Just to the right of the blue pot.

You will see 3 rows of 2 pins. The first 2 rows (below the heatsinks) will not have any jumpers on them. That means that you will be in 8 microstep mode. That is the weakest, but most minute amount of travel the motors can have.

The rows should be labeled

MS0 on top
    MS1 in the middle
    EN on the bottom. (The EN jumpers will disable that particular axis if it is removed)

For 1/8 step. There should be no jumpers on either MS0 or MS1
    For 1/4 Step. There should be a jumper on MS0 but NOT MS1
    For 1/2 Step. There should be a jumper on MS1 but NOT MS0
    For Full Step. There should be jumpers on Both MS1 and MS0

If you go to full step, you would put 0 in he EMC2 steps and then i believe your steps would be 4000 with the 20tpi screw.

I would start there and then work my way back. Your accuracy should still be good with the 20tpi screw.

Hopefully that makes sense. Xylotex didn't send any extra jumpers with them, so I hope you have some around there. I am in the PC biz so I had a few hundred from back in the day. lol...

Ok now that makes sense. So i'll want too leave the stock jumper where it is and then just install the other jumpers where they need too be? Sounds good. I have lots of computer parts, hopefully there will be some on some motherboards!

-Jason

With the full step, I can't put in 0. It won't allow me. But when I put 1 in (The bottom showed 4000 step rate). I did not mess too much on this setting.

I found 1/2 and 1/4 too be pretty good. But didn't have enough time too mess. With the 1/2 I was able too obtain like 25 IPM consistently.

Hopefully I can keep going higher. We'll see.

-Jason

Jason, when you're "testing" the speed, are you actually cutting something, or just air?

By the way, how come you pulled your auction for the cnc stuff on ebay, I was hoping to grab them from you-
    Dave->..

I got banned from Ebay like 8 months ago. It was my brothers account and then I had too confirm stuff too put my item up. They found out and banned him.

It's such bull because I got suspended the first time for no reason. I e-mailed them.

I'm upset because I was getting offers too.

Funny how you knew that was me. lol.

I'll be putting it back up. Or Pm me. I'll see what happens.

I'm testing with air, but losing steps when I push force on it

-Jason

So Frets, Lets see what happens with Ebay and stuff. I bought my system with the steppers @ over 300.00 So I was just wanting too see what I could get for the that stuff and within hours I got a few questions. So we'll see.

Now onto my problems.

With what steps should I "theoretically" receive the fastest speed? 1/2 is working, but I need too do more testing. I still feel like 30 IPM consistent is possible.

-Jason

Speeds, Sorry I didnt respond but I was out of town this weekend. I can tell you that I have played around with 18, 10 and now 5 tpi leadscrews. For the best bang for your buck do something with the leadscrews. With 18 tpi screw I could never get it about 24ipm without loosing steps, 10tpi was around 60ipm but I could get it up to 70ish area. Now with the 5tpi I can easily hit 130ipm on my X2 but for me that is way to scary and keep the jogs around 40ipm and 10-20ipm for cutting. My new build that I am working on right now is going to have 2tpi leadscrew so I am looking foward to see how that works out. I dont know if changing out the screws is possible on your mill but it is something you should really consider, I think it will save you alot of heartache.

Yea... It just sucks because I have seen many "Speedy" Taigs. I have been thinking about the Leadscrews. It doesn't look that hard, It's a brass bolt underneath the carriage with a certain screw. Maybe I just find the right dimensions and Boom!

-Jason

Was your taig cnc ready or manual?

Also, do you have a pc there that you could load Mach3 on and try the setup with it? I wish I could help more, but my system was using Mach3 and that worked great short of the heavy mill. So I don't really know what else to tell you on the settings. I have no machines left that I can load EMC2 with.

And also, earlier in the post. When I said 30ipm, I didn't mean rapid air moves, I meant cutting.

It was manual, but I bought as the CNC ready. Meaning it came with the motor mounts etc.

-Jason

It was actually pretty sweet. I have it at 1/2 microstepping and the "stock" file for when EMC opens is a EMC2 AXIS logo.

I engraved it into aluminum going @ 20 IPM. It was finally nice too see it come up and go too another spot quickly. I engraved it in like 50 seconds. It was cool! But BUT BUT BUT, I think higher speeds are still possible and at 24 IPM...I Lost steps. So still need too work out the Kinks.

-Jason

Guys I need your Opinion on this. So the Xylotex website says. "When using 10 TPI screws with the 269's you can get between 50 and 75 IPM. " If I'm using 20 TPI, I should still be able too hit between 25-50 Consistently with my 280 Oz motors.

Now this makes me wonder. Could it really be my computer? The computer was picked up form a neighbor who was throwing it out (It was great deal, it ran my cnc stuff and works still!!!) But I wonder of that could be it. Losing steps because of the PC.

How would a 2.8 Ghz with 512 Ram running only EMC2 and nothing else perform? (Price: 200.00) The comp I had is older and probably no where close too that.

What do you think?

-Jason

Jason, I have no experience with EMC2 but from what I've read, that should be MORE than enough. Especially if you have nothing else running. As for your particular setup, I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you-
    Dave->..

I'm stumped otherwise. I don't see how it can be anything else. I fist want too test it though. I'll use one of my nice computers too see if it's true.

-Jason

By all means, Jason, try everything you can think of.

Just curious about another thing, you mention this was a CNC ready Taig you got from ebay, does it have the actual larger anti-backlash nuts installed, or the standard nuts? If they are the standard nuts, could this be part of the problem?
    Dave->..

No, I bought it from Nick, brand new. My CNC components were from Ebay new, but from ebay.

-Jason

Oh, nick carter? So it was a manual mill first then and not a CNC "ready" mill? (there is a difference in the nuts).
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Guys I need your Opinion on this. So the Xylotex website says. "When using 10 TPI screws with the 269's you can get between 50 and 75 IPM. " If I'm using 20 TPI, I should still be able too hit between 25-50 Consistently with my 280 Oz motors.
    Not necessarily. Your motors would be spinning twice as fast, and would have far less torque than when spinning half as fast with 10 tpi screws. Torque is not linear with rpm.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It's about the Torque at the speed too.

Yea Nick Carter, it was CNC "ready", just was doing manual work first.

-Jason

Even losing steps at 15 IPm on Rapids....Parts are getting all messed up because it's not going too the right area. But I don't hear the motors buzzing and stalling or anything....

-Jason

Page 2 of 6 1234