587,405 active members*
3,243 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    this i like hadn't checked this thread in a couple days and i like what i see. a lot

I would be curious to see how running it above say 3.5k/4k rpm is for the stock components but hell even that would be 2x stock

sorry everyone, i wasnt able to do my next set of testing last night, something came up.. but i've got a 1/8th test drawn up and ready to go.. I'll get that done and post the results in the next couple days.
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Ok, so i got off the couch and ran the 1/8th inch endmill cut test.. and the results are a little puzzeling...

Its a altin coated 1/8th inch endmill, turning at 5000+ RPM cutting at 3, 5, 6, 7 IPM.

My math sais 7.5 IPM and not wanting to break my cutter, i didnt push it too hard, i dont think, but at 7IPM i could definately hear it cutting, but i couldnt hear any motor slowing, so i'm still not worried about not having enough torque.

anyway, heres the full length video.. oh, and Hoss, I'm just having some fun calling you out in this, no malice intended...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoza1JlNX4

and heres the still.....

Now what i dont understand is why it is that they all look the same to me... Am i still going too slow?

What plunge speed should i be using? I'm currently plunging into the part at 1.5 IPM with this 1/8th endmill....

oh, and i learned by running the circle test, that apparently i do have some backlash.. so i'll be working on that soon as well...

It wont let me insert the video clip, i dont know why...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    Ok, so i got off the couch and ran the 1/8th inch endmill cut test.. and the results are a little puzzeling...

Its a altin coated 1/8th inch endmill, turning at 5000+ RPM cutting at 3, 5, 6, 7 IPM.

My math sais 7.5 IPM and not wanting to break my cutter, i didnt push it too hard, i dont think, but at 7IPM i could definately hear it cutting, but i couldnt hear any motor slowing, so i'm still not worried about not having enough torque.

anyway, heres the full length video.. oh, and Hoss, I'm just having some fun calling you out in this, no malice intended...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoza1JlNX4

and heres the still.....

Now what i dont understand is why it is that they all look the same to me... Am i still going too slow?

What plunge speed should i be using? I'm currently plunging into the part at 1.5 IPM with this 1/8th endmill....

oh, and i learned by running the circle test, that apparently i do have some backlash.. so i'll be working on that soon as well...

It wont let me insert the video clip, i dont know why...
    Joe,

Not too surprising. Cutting too slow will often not have any visible adverse affect. It will reduce too life. When you start going too fast, surface finish will suffer, followed, sometimes very shortly, by the tool breaking. Best thing to do is push it until something goes obviously wrong, then back off 20% or so next time. I spent several days doing this to learn the limits of my machine, and broke several tools in the process, but it was well worth it.

Plunge speed should generally be roughly 1/2 the cut speed. So, for 1/8" tools running 8200 RPM, I normally run 10-12 IPM feed, 5-6 IPM plunge.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Call me out will ya.:boxing:
    I added it to my favorites, now i'm famous.
    you didn't mention exactly what type of 1/8" endmill you were using.
    For aluminum, you want to use a high helix 2 flute endmill.
    "A high helix angle, generally around 45 degrees is desirable. The helix helps move chips up and out of the cutting zone and also generates an excellent surface finish. The angle also helps soften the impact at the entrance of the cut, resulting in a smoother, quieter cut."
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

i read the entire endmill label on the video.. i even mentioned where i bought it...

ok, so ounds like tomarrow, being payday, i need to order a couple more endmills, cause this is my last 1/8th, and i'll run the test again cutting faster...

so now whats the rule, altin coated solid carbide i can cut faster than HSS, but how much? just to give me an idea of where to start and stop the new test....

Hoss, yep, i called you out, mentioned you by name, and you know why? cause i'm jealous as hell.

not proud of it, but its the truth.

i believe that someone pointed me towards thoes pictures at some time in the recent past...

I've actually thought about doing mine the same way so that i could bypass all the internal gears in the head, thus reducing the noise, and the drag on the motor that i really dont use..

oh and sorry everyone, i havent had time to do more cutting speed tests, its been a crazy couple weeks... I'll get back to it soon....

Based on your photos I'm assuming that you making one slotting pass and then looking the results. I consider slotting a roughing operation and would consider metal removal rate over the appearance. If you want a better surface finish make the slot w/ a smaller end mill and then follow up with a finish pass to take off another few thou. Overall I’d consider your results very good for a one pass slot.

Most manufacturers recommend against using AlTin or TiAln coated tools on aluminum because those coatings work best above the melting point of Al and the Al content can cause galling. I have seen some end mills for Aluminum with AlTin and TiAln coatings so maybe the jury is still out on it but the big manufacturers recommend polished uncoated, TiN, TiCN, or ZrN. At 83sfm is doubtful that the coating is doing much and uncoated aluminum specific end mills are often sharper. http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/...es/030401.html

I've been running 1/16" 2fl carbide end mills at 5000rpm in my Tormach and I'm considering adding a 30k secondary spindle. I'm sure it will be an improvement but I'm guessing that acceleration is going to be the real limiting factor. When I'm working w/ small cutters usually the part is small and full of details. I already have a few tiny pockets where the machine spending most of it's time at 3ipm on a 6ipm cut.

Page 4 of 4 234