587,375 active members*
3,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X1 and X2 mix and match

Has anyone thought of mixing the X1 extended table and extended Y with a X2 column and R8 head?

I have and X2 minimill and I like the R8 tooling. But, I like the Y travel on the X1 with extended Y. The extended X table appears to be wider and longer than the table on the X2. Could you take an X1 base and mount the X2 column to it? Or would the X2 head mount on the X1 column?

Would you really gain enough to be worth the cost? Would you just be better of buying an X3 for the money spent?

Alan

I have an X1 and I also have the Extended Y axis (non-tilting version) and my Extended table shall arrive tomorrow.

Why would I want to rig the X2 Column up to this thing. R8 tooling is less expensive for sure but the X1 Column isn't that bad... I don't think that the X2 column will fit either of the X1 extended bases anyway...

The base is the X1's weakest link.

And no the X2 head will not fit the X1 Column...

Buy an X3 if you can... If I had known that I'd be sinking as much $ as I have in the X1 I would have gone that route a long time ago. Shoot... I'm even doing a servo cnc job on the thing...
    Nathan

I doubt that x2 stuff will fit onto the x1. Given the choice i would just go for the X1, with the two kits it has more travel than the x2 anyways. The Y axis base is not bad a tall, much longer and more surface area. I would like the column to be thicker, but after i filled it with concrete I have not found any problems with it.
    THe only thing is, all of the long tables were sold out in just a few days. I managed to get one earlier this week, but apparently there were only 15 that arrived to LMS. So you may have to wait a while...

Phantomcow2,

Does any one sell the X1 extended version or do you have to buy the regular X1 plus buy the extension parts from LMS? If you could buy the extended base and table from LMS like the X2 base assembly, it would look more attractive.

Alan

yep waiting on one of the long X-axis as well.

This brings up and interesting point, It is very conceviable to just buy the X and Y axis kits from LMS and build a Z axis up that is designed with CNC in mind. You know what I mean, build the axis up with counter balancing, proper screw placement, etc. I nice option for a spindle might be a Taig ER16 one for about $100 run by a DC treadmill motor with a surplus electronics speed control.

It's very concieveable if you have the means to mill and surface grind a new dovetail column or THK rail style column and a mating spacer for the spindle head. The fixed column extended Y base definitley has the extra capacity to handle a much bigger column than the X1 Comes with. If you do, the newly made column and Spindle could very well be done for no more cost than the X1 itself...
    Nathan

ArcEurotrade sells the micro mill with extended base and table already installed, called X1L.
    This is only suitable for people in ENgland though

Quote Originally Posted by anoel
    It's very concieveable if you have the means to mill and surface grind a new dovetail column or THK rail style column and a mating spacer for the spindle head. The fixed column extended Y base definitley has the extra capacity to handle a much bigger column than the X1 Comes with. If you do, the newly made column and Spindle could very well be done for no more cost than the X1 itself...

I actaully have a 6X18 surface grinder. Hmmm interesting thought there.

i've been reading the posts. it seams that most people use the extended base for the x1 but not the tilt.is there a problem with the tilt.i was thinking about ordering one of the extended/tilt kits.i thought the tilt would come in real handy.

Well because if you want to mill or drill an angled hole, its much easier just to use a tilting vise. You can tilt the machine yes, but then you have to true it up again. For the time involved, and the price difference, an angled vise is easier.
    I would get the non tilting kit

i'll look into angle vises.i was just going to atatch a degree level to the side of the column.that way you ajust to any angle or bring it back to zero.as long as the bed has been zeroed first.
    thanks for the help
    i just wondered why they wheren't used more.

The column has degree markings. The thing is, think about it. YOur tilting a great part of the mill rather than just the workpiece. Unscrewing that thing and then loosening the column, making sure it does not crash on the ground, its a pain.
    If you want real accuracy, the best way to go is a sine vise. They are available through the usual retailers. Sine vises look like a regular screwless vise, but they have a tilting side. And then you get these things called sine bars, which are accurately ground blocks. Using some basic trig. you put the bar underneath the pivoting part of the vise. Now you have an angle

phantomcow, have you tried to tram your mill by using those degree marks? if so you have seen how far off they are.

I agree with using a sine vice for angles rather than tilting the head. Either a sine vice or a rotary table.

I have tilted my column a few times to make a cut, its easy to tilt it, but to get it trammed up afterwards is a pain in the butt for these machines as they arent trammed well front to back.

Jon

Based on what i know of sieg products, the marks are probably a sticker that was eyeballed on. This is not to say that sieg products are bad, I am happy with the mini lathe and x1 i own from them. But its these little things, or lack of, that justify the price.

i thought it would be handy but i hadn't thought about the weight of the head as you tilt it.it would be oquarred to move-steady and retighten.thanks for the heads up.
    i can see the advantage of the tilting vise.it would be a lot easier to get a more exact angle without dealing with the weight.have you tried using an angle finder like this with the vise.it has been a great help in aligning my cnc router.
    thanks again for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 34214.gif