586,070 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X axis hitting hard

I was referencing all axes the other night and z and y went fine then the x axis hit home and it sounded like it hit hard and the power went off on the PC (i think the machine shut down too) Went to turn everything back on and my computer blew one of my RAM sticks. Has anyone experienced that before or have any thought of what could be going on

Re: X axis hitting hard

X axis limit switch dead?

It sounds from that description that the computer went first?

I'm hoping i will have some time this weekend to mess around with it. It is a new switch, i just replaced it maybe 5 or 6 months ago.

I had my mill go mustang one day. Turned it all on and homed it, cool ! do my normal rapid move off home and the x slammed to a stop.
    messed around called tormach they said reinstall mac and use the disk supplied with the mill!
    hmm Im like this is like silly it sounds mechanical not software. Few minutes later all was fixed and I was eating worms!
    I did have to recalibrate spindle speed / feq. and few other software related items after reinstall.

Hope this helps
    md

ps I used my own computer controller and might have installed mac control software off their site and or some part of it was left from previous install.
    Who knows when it comes to errors in software install stacks there are so many paths, mathematically they approach infinity real fast.
    Funny how it worked for a month with no problem then !

good luck fixing you problem and ask around here. some people around here have a great deal of experience!

That is why i bought a Tormach is because of the support from everyone here and Tormach them selfs. I did not have time this weekend to mess with it.
    I'm assuming mac is mach? Right?
    I bought the machine used and it did not come with a disk so i will have to down load it. I do have my own PC (dell optiplex 745)

Quote Originally Posted by BIG IGG View Post
    That is why i bought a Tormach is because of the support from everyone here and Tormach them selfs. I did not have time this weekend to mess with it.
    I'm assuming mac is mach? Right?
    I bought the machine used and it did not come with a disk so i will have to down load it. I do have my own PC (dell optiplex 745)
    Call tormach with serial number of mill, bet they can fix you up with mach "sorry I miss spell everything"
    As for controller I don't know. I built my own because I have very expensive OLD workstation class computers in closets around here.
    These were old systems used by me over the years and were top of the line.
    Many people do not understand the difference between a computer and a workstation and why.
    These were very stable and well made. not a economy class computer and work well for a controller. I also have years of experience using and building computers and operating systems. So I had confidence in configuring a sound very limited operating system install just for mach and the mill. no other software is on the machine.
    Hope this helps
    md

No problem. I did work on it last night and i removed the x cover and started to send the x home and i manually hit the switch and it sounded like it should have. So i moved the x limit switch about a 1/4 inch to the right and homed it and let the machine home its self and it sound find. I will keep and eye on it and see if it stays like that.

Thanks everyone for there input.