587,515 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Wolfgang Spindle Options
Page 1 of 2 12

Wolfgang Spindle Options

I posted this in the PCB area because I feel the Wolfgang spindle is targeted directly for PCB isolation routing. I'm not going to be doing large pockets and heavy hardwood carving with it. I'll use my Porter Cable for that.

This is the motor wolfgang uses on his spindle?
    http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...de=TM99MTR3285

Here is a motor I purchased at Princess Auto for about the same price PN: DF651(2)LG. The reason I mention it is because someone else mentioned using it for a replacemment for the wolfgang but I think that might not be a good idea. Here is a PDF the salesman at Johnson sent me with the specifications for the DF-651(2)LG.
    There are probably more motors with the same physical dimensions and shaft size. It would be nice if you find one list the motor here.
    Ultimately I would love to control the speed of the motor from Mach3 using PWM. I have a simple circuit to control the on/off and I will post it here when I have it done up in Eagle.

Thanks
    Brent

I located some pictures of a partly disassembled WG spindle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1270192.jpg   P1270188.jpg   P1270181.jpg   P1270178.jpg  

P1270173.jpg   P1270162.jpg   P1270159.jpg   P1270154.jpg  

P1270147.jpg   P1270141.jpg   P1270130.jpg   P1270132.jpg  

P1270129.jpg  

No, that's just the collet removed Simple to do and I do that after each job to make sure any fine dust does not get in during a tool change.

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    I posted this in the PCB area because I feel the Wolfgang spindle is targeted directly for PCB isolation routing. I'm not going to be doing large pockets and heavy hardwood carving with it. I'll use my Porter Cable for that.

This is the motor wolfgang uses on his spindle?
    http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...de=TM99MTR3285

Here is a motor I purchased at Princess Auto for about the same price PN: DF651(2)LG. The reason I mention it is because someone else mentioned using it for a replacemment for the wolfgang but I think that might not be a good idea. Here is a PDF the salesman at Johnson sent me with the specifications for the DF-651(2)LG.
    There are probably more motors with the same physical dimensions and shaft size. It would be nice if you find one list the motor here.
    Ultimately I would love to control the speed of the motor from Mach3 using PWM. I have a simple circuit to control the on/off and I will post it here when I have it done up in Eagle.

Thanks
    Brent
    Are you buying a Wolfgang or tyring to duplicate one or?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I purchased one. My main reason for building a CNC router is to do PCBs, wood is secondary. That is why I purchased this unit, however there seem to be others that have purchased this spindle and I really cannot find any user support and options on the web so I'm hoping this thread might serve as a common meeting ground for others using this spindle.

Do you think the WG spindle with a end mill will hold up to Aluminum? Maybe with very shallow cuts?

Thanks

I wouldn't do it with a $200 spindle. I have a $110 Proxxon IB/E for that Of course it depends on if you are engraving or milling, using a wood router or a benchtop mill.

Ya probably better to use my PC router when I get the parts I need to mount it.

Do you think the WG spindle with a end mill will hold up to Aluminum? Maybe with very shallow cuts?

Thanks

From my experience with a WG spindle the answer is no.

I hate that you "threw it in the trash". Richard said he would add any type of bearing you want. I was looking for more vids and projects with your Romaxx though ... have you posted anything new recently?

No new video lately, it's been too hot to play in the garage with the Houston heat. I still have to cut the other end of a small counter top book stand for my wife and will post that when I do it. It has a 2.5D Texas crest on it.

Yea on the "trash" I should have tried to replace the bearings before I trashed it. Came across the motor and the mount I had made for it the other day, found a use for the mount but the motor still in the junk pile.

Many thanks for this topic.

I am thinking also on buying a Zenbot CNC and wolfgang, for making PCB.

I live in Portugal, there is no 120V here. Could I use the 24V on wolfgang motor? It's a good idea or should I do something else?

Thank you.

Unhappy

Lovebugjunkie,

I wish you would have tossed the Wolfgang in my direction.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Post Actual motor and specs from Johnson Electric

I did some looking. The surplus Herbach motor posted by Drools is not the same one on my Wolfgang that I purchased from Richard.

This is the one I have. For posterity I will post the information as well.

Of interest: this is AC only intended for low power application.

Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wolfgang_motor.jpg   Wolfgang_motor_specs1.jpg   Wolfgang_motor_specs2.jpg   Wolfgang_motor_specs3.jpg  

Jay I'm a little confused. The motor you posted is not a AC only but a High Voltage DC motor. I posted the PDF that I got from Johnson in my initial thread. The WG spindle did originally come with a DC only motor probably the one you posted and Richard changed to the 120VAC motor.

Dear Brent,

Thanks for your information.

After our checking, DF651(2)-LG is one of our motor series name, this is HVDC(high voltage DC) motor, the norminal voltage is 120VDC.

Attached is a relevant product datasheet. pls check for your reference,

You can also find it from our website. Thanks.

(See attached file: DF651(2)LG-001.pdf)

Best regards,
    Roy

Ext. 2154
    Tel. +86 755 29900535
    Strategic Marketing
    VIP Center, 3/F, 11B, Johnson City
    Johnson Electric Group
    This motor is most likely a Universal type which means it can ge run AC or DC but it will last much longer on DC. That is according to all the information I have found on Universal Motors. I have not tried mine on 24VDC yet but it might be worth a try, maybe quieter and cooler operation might result.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Lovebugjunkie,

I wish you would have tossed the Wolfgang in my direction.

Jeff...

If you have a use for the motor and spindle to motor mount that came with the WG you are welcome to it. If so drop me a pm with your address and I will get it to you.

Jay I'm a little confused. The motor you posted is not a AC only but a High Voltage DC motor. I posted the PDF that I got from Johnson in my initial thread.
    Yeah I just noticed that I was focusing on the surplus link I guess.
    This motor is most likely a Universal type which means it can ge run AC or DC but it will last much longer on DC.
    Universal motors
    That is according to all the information I have found on Universal Motors. I have not tried mine on 24VDC yet but it might be worth a try, maybe quieter and cooler operation might result.

Brent
    I'm interest in those results. When this motor dies, I plan to use a modified RC BL motor.

My spindle is driven with 2 o-rings, one of the o-rings broke on Monday. My buddy that works at a local hydraulics store, set me up with 2 of the following.
    The o-ring was a 2-137 (standard o-ring size number): nominal size 2-1/16id x 2-1/4od x 3/32 cross section.
    The new belts work just fine, in fact I think the motor is quieter due to less slop in the o-rings.

Thanks
    Mine wolfgang spindle fell apart even without cutting anything.
    Photos here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=778495#post778495 of the thing disassembled into pieces.

Now I have it properly glued, however it has lost its "stated" precision so I had it cut the aluminium/brass. 1mm depth at up to 300mm per min, 3mm two flute endmill, around 15000rpm... did the job, no problem.
    Would not normally do that, but due to the loss of precision after reassembling I felt that I have nothing to loose.

It has been a while since my WG spindle has been mounted. I have been using my big Porter Cable router but I have been putting off some PCB making for too long so I put the WG back on. The big PC router does cut PCBs just fine but the noise of the router and I would rather wear the bearing out on the big PC cutting wood than PCBs.
    One thing I noticed right away with the WG mounted, the router would not home while the motor was running!?!?
    It turns out this motor is quite noisy EMF wise, I took some tin-foil and wrapped the motor and the AC power cord and now it homes every time with the motor running. I think my missed steps from previous trouble shooting may have been caused from this noisy motor. Any thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 2 12