587,449 active members*
2,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning!)
Page 11 of 14 910111213
    my new benchtop mill I have a link in my sig for the build log thread.

Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Gnarly, did you get it at auction?

No. I just happened by a race car shop a few miles from my house and saw it in the corner and he mentioned it was for sale of course stupid me asked how much and he said "$2000" well rest is history! Did cost me $750 to get it moved. Now I have to scrape together some money for the retro fit.
    Needless to say wife is thrilled with the new purchase! :drowning:
    Best part he is going to give me the work he was doing on it and just landed a job for another co. that will last 2 yrs after mill is ready. Going to be crazy watching this huge machine spinning a 1/8" mill bit. LOL
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Going to be crazy watching this huge machine spinning a 1/8" mill bit. LOL
    Start looking for a speeder and/or setting up a companion spindle of some kind. Its really really frustrating right now that my Taig with its 28K spindle (not original) is the work horse of my shop for small end mill detail work.

This was my first test spindle run on mine yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvccCuTlJjU

Nothing spectacular. but you may notice the 3/32 endmill in the ER25 holder I setup for it. I was going to try to tie the VFD into the breakout board today, but after taking a buddy fishing this morning I'm spent. I'll work on that tomorrow.

I have also picked up a 1:6 Yuasa speeder rated for 10K with a 1" straight shank that I'll be able to use in the main spindle. I think long term I'll add a 400Hz companion spindle at some point on its own Z^2 axis.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Sounds really smooth. Thanks for the vid.
    Haven't touched mine re-organizing and painting garage before I move everything in.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Stepper size was may biggest hurdle,I read on here about someone running 380oz on the same size lathe.

Your going to need two really big guys to get thant benchtop on the bench!

Does it run as is?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Your going to need two really big guys to get that benchtop on the bench!

Does it run as is?
    LOL....going to need really strong bench too!
    It is a running machine, of course it's 3 phase so it doesn't run here. Can't wait to get it gutted ,cleaned and painted.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

am I the only one that does not see the pics?

Quote Originally Posted by ttm View Post
    am I the only one that does not see the pics?
    Unfortunately I'm hosting pics elsewhere and you can't edit posts on this site after couple days. Been a long time debate here.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    LOL....going to need really strong bench too!
    It is a running machine, of course it's 3 phase so it doesn't run here. Can't wait to get it gutted ,cleaned and painted.
    Save all your parts until you are done. Some things you will discover you can reuse. Sometimes simple things like the timer that operates the lubrication pump. Its a simple old school electro mechanical timer, but it works. I could have used a couple electronic timers to do the same job, but why spend the $40 (2X$20) on that when I can use the old timer, and spend the $40 on another tool holder instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Unfortunately I'm hosting pics elsewhere and you can't edit posts on this site after couple days. Been a long time debate here.
    I run a forum, and I instituted a time limit for editing. Way too often people would act like jerks, and then they would go back and change what they said to try to make good people look like they were picking on them unfairly. Its not even debatable for me anymore. I don't mind when other forums institute things like that either. Its inconvenient when I make an error and can't fix it, but it prevents a lot of worse problems. If something is truly onerous the admin can always delete it.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Here are couple vids with the new pulleys install...runs really smooth and quite. Ignore the air cuts they are for the rough cut stock.

Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

and the next one.....only 1 vid per post. Cuts are .025 @ 10 IPM RPM 2070

and the final product
    Attachment 189784

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6260420.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	189786
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Yep that is very smooth. Much sm oother than mine. I will make myself new pullies as well once the machine is running again as it's my only machine.

That is the hardest thing making parts for the machine-with the machine-by the machine-without the machine....wishing you had another machine! :drowning:
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

My solution is to e-mail the guy with the other machine, where he can put my CAD into his machine, and make parts for my machine. And all with water. Attachment 189814

Motor mount for the mill motor. Also doing my Z axis which I hope to get back tomorrow morning.

Is that the 1.5 HP you posted about? You will love the the VFD setup for sure. I'm still using the stock motor on my mill.
    I panned for the VFD upgrade but I knew early on that the mill would be replaced.

I'm in the planing stages for the linear rail upgrade. Will include new saddle,new table,new ballscrew and gang tooling mount and may upgrade to 3hp motor.

When done only the lathe bed and spindle will be all that remains of the original lathe. That is another reason I refused to convert a mill like the X45. I wish someone would just sell the Iron instead of throwing all the unneeded parts in the corner.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Yeah I feel guilty taking all those parts off, and unfortunately they aren't really good for much else.

That's the 1.5hp, I'm busy wiring up the rest of the controls for 4-axis in the end. I went with 400oz-in motors all around, same ball screw you have with similar ones for the Y and Z. Also went with the Gecko G540 and will control the VFD's from that. I'm thinking of using the forward/reverse switch from the lathe to control which VFD recieves signal from the G540 since I won't need to run both at the same time ever.

I already blew up my first power supply though, doh! It was switched to 110v but I plugged in 240v and forgot to switch it over. POP!
    Attachment 189842

I'm really curious to see how your linear rails work. Why would you go all the way to 3hp for the mill? Gear it for high speed without it bogging down?

Control box is looking good. The G540 should treat you right.

I have yet to hook up the VFD to the BOB really don't think about it much anymore got so use to using it manually,nice thing about the GS2 it has a remote panel.

3hp will be for the Lathe.

How are you going to rig up the ball screw for the Z on the mill? PICS!!

You going to do a build log on here?

Ordering parts for the Hurco mill right now.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

This looks like an extremely useful thread.
    Is there any way we can get the images? They seem to have been removed.

Page 11 of 14 910111213