587,175 active members*
2,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Which Flood Coolant?

In a few days, I will have my knee mill completely enclosed, so I can start using flood coolant when running "production". But what fluid to use? Recommendations?

Regards,
    Ray L.

I lean toward cimcool synthetic , its good coolant , works well with low concentrates for general machining , lasts for a ridiculous amount of time , and my favorite feature is it doesn't go skanky .
    I always suggest to avoid fuchs like the plague , i've had more trouble with their coolants than what they are worth

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Which one?

Dertsap

I went to the Cimcool website and looked at a bunch of different synthetic coolants. Which one do you use or recommend for general purpose use (as in I machine aluminum, steel and cast iron.

From my very quick read it seems that the Cimtech 3XX are the ones to use in my case. (ie Cimtech 304MA)

Also - where / who do you buy from in Canada (small volume for home machine shop)?

Thanks,

Mike

Hmmmmm..... Cimcool has a dizzying array of different fluids! In looking at the Enco and MSC catalogs, I came across TRIM C320 fluid, which is a synthetic claimed to be as good as soluble oils, and with high biological resistance. Sounds like pretty good stuff, and it's about 30% cheaper than what I'm seeing for Cimcool fluids, at $98 for a 5 gallon drum (which makes 50+ gallons when diluted).

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Regards,
    Ray L.

been a while since ive used it , i'm only a worker so i dont have any say in the choice of coolants that I work with , at a previous company we used the cimcool 350( if i recall properly) but they've since changed the numbers , i believe the 304 is the same stuff . I've been searching thru their site a few months ago and had tried to convince my current employer to do the cross over from what we are currently using , the stuff initially costs more but the savings are in the longevity of it's life cycle .
    you should be able to contact them on their site to find a dealer who is within your area
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Hangsterfer S-500 has been working well for me in a home shop. No significant odors, very little rust, paint on the mill is still intact nearly 5 years after 1st installation.

The biggest problem I have with it is getting rid of the tramp oil.

Mike

I'm running CoolMist 77 for Flood coolant with a 4 oz to 1 gallon water mix. It hasn't ever gone rank and does a good job but I have noticed it makes all my plastic parts (Limit switch covers) very brittle. I called tech support and they claim they have never heard of that issue. All I can say is I never had an issue until I started using it. I will be converting the limit switches over to an aluminum housing to stop this. Everything else has been fine.

I have no rust issues and I mainly machine aluminum. Every once in awhile I machine steel or cast iron and really hadn't had any issues with those either.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I'm running CoolMist 77 for Flood coolant with a 4 oz to 1 gallon water mix. It hasn't ever gone rank and does a good job but I have noticed it makes all my plastic parts (Limit switch covers) very brittle. I called tech support and they claim they have never heard of that issue. All I can say is I never had an issue until I started using it. I will be converting the limit switches over to an aluminum housing to stop this. Everything else has been fine.

I have no rust issues and I mainly machine aluminum. Every once in awhile I machine steel or cast iron and really hadn't had any issues with those either.

Richard
    Now that's interesting.... I've been using KoolMist as a mist coolant for years, with no problems. I was wondering if it could be used as flood as well. Though I suspect soluble oil coolant might provide better lubrication, as KoolMist, I believe, is pretty much strictly a coolant, and not a lubricant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    In a few days, I will have my knee mill completely enclosed
    Ray, be sure to post pictures, etc. I am interested in what you have done! I'm planning on doing something similar.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Lahega Syntocool 900 is my choice, absolutely NO smell, I machine aluminum all the day, nice light green color, sometimes I do escape for 2 weeks and then back o machine, no problem at all.

I use Koolmist 77 as well. It does work fine and is relatively inexpensive. It does not leave a film on parts. It will if you leave it sit on there, but an air blast works and then I can powder coat. Thats provided the stock was relatively clean to start with.
    That is the main reason I stuck with it. Oh and no odor.

It does make plastic parts brittle though. It will change polycarbonate from almost bullet proof to a sheet you can snap with your fingers. Koolmist folks have obviously not done any testing. They say it is inert and cannot effect anything like that. It's mixed only with water. It ain't the water making polycarbonate brittle.
    Lee

I've been using Liquid Ice HPX. It smells pleasant when new, doesn't become stinky, and doesn't eat the paint on my Tormach mill.

The one downside is that it causes copper and brass to turn green. You can use it to machine copper and brass, but you need to clean up the mill afterward, or the green will bleed off of the chips onto your mill. And you need to thoroughly rinse your completed copper and brass parts.

It's non-toxic, and feels slippery on skin, similar to antifreeze.

Frederic

Try blaser if you can found it.

For me it is the best coolant, I'm a lathe machinist and in ten years of working I try a lot of coolant, but blaser is the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Now that's interesting.... I've been using KoolMist as a mist coolant for years, with no problems. I was wondering if it could be used as flood as well. Though I suspect soluble oil coolant might provide better lubrication, as KoolMist, I believe, is pretty much strictly a coolant, and not a lubricant.
    I used KoolMist 77 for a long time as a flood coolant, then bought a proper flood coolant (Trim E206 I think, I'd have to check when I'm in the shop).

KoolMist is a lousy flood coolant. Use it for misting, but get a real cutting fluid for flood purposes.

alex

Bumping this. Looking at Enco the Trim C320 did look good, as well as Oakflo DSS T-Tech. And with Grainger there are about a gazillion options out there.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I've been using Liquid Ice HPX. It smells pleasant when new, doesn't become stinky, and doesn't eat the paint on my Tormach mill.
    This thread came back up and I saw my post. I should provide some updated information. I switched away from the Liquid Ice. It was a great coolant in every way, except that it didn't have good corrosion protection. After a year of use, I was seeing significant corrosion on the mill and on my vises.

I've been told that the oil is suspended, not dissolved. So unless the machine sees constant use, the oil can settle out, leaving water behind. It's too bad, because in every other way, Liquid Ice is great stuff.

I am now using a Blaser coolant. It doesn't smell as good, and it dries out my skin. But it also is showing no signs of becoming rancid, even with the intermittent use that my mill sees.

Frederic

Where did you source it and which specific grade, I hear that Blaser is like the industry standard in big shops.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Glad this thread got bumped. Gotta go buy some coolant soon for my new enclosure.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I too am interested in what people are using. I'm gonna be setting up my flood system soon and am not even sure where to begin, there are just so many flood coolants out there.

I am using Valcool, works good, and no smell indoors.
    Donald

Page 1 of 2 12