587,517 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which encoder wire?

I’m converting my CNC Router from stepper motors to servomotors. I’m planning on running CAT5 (stranded) style cable to the encoders. Since I’m going to run new wire for the encoders, I was wondering if there was a shielded version of the CAT5 (stranded) available? My thought is I may as well attempt to head off any RF interference issues while in the process. Does anyone have any leads to a source?

Not CAT5, but McMaster Carr sells sheilded cable by the foot. You can choose the number of conductors you need. I've used in on two CNC machines with good results.

Karl

Thanks Karl T, I'll check them out.

I think cat 6 is cat 5e shielded. I don't think it will be a good choice because it isn't meant to bend. There is cable meant to be constantly flexed. I think McMaster calls it robotics cable or something like that. I think Parts Express still has some.

You need more than simple shielded cable

You want twisted pair conductor that ALSO has a good, abrasion resistant, flexible outer shield for servo motor use. If you're going to get it near coolant or other fluids, a chemical resistant jacket is also well adised.

I don't believe that CAT5 is suitable for shop use for it's lack of abrasion resistance and it inability to tolerate coolants and cutting fluids over the long term. It may not have the flexibility to survive repeated flexing as the servos move back a forth.

Ajax CNC has proper cable for servos. It's a $1.00 per foot .They also have shielded power cable for the servo .