587,481 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to start?

Hi,

First off I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question. I am planning on making a part. I am not looking to make it myself. If I were to go to a cnc shop would I need to have the part already made(prototype)? Is there a standard program that allows you to design parts? What kind of expense could I expect(the part will be approx 3-4 inches long with a couple of holes in it as well as a L-shape and hook on the end...probably 10mm thick by 40mm tall by 100mm long)?

Thanks for any info or directions where to look...

Filter.

Filter, no all you really need is the idea and most good shops can help you prototype it and make your dream a reality......But keep in mind that the more the shop has to do the more expensive the part is.One or two of anything is expensive expecially when the shop has to take it from your head put it on paper then make it....I can help you more on this if needed! Or the RFQ section is another good place.(my shop is in Upper Michigan) Let me know...

Thanks, Travis

Travis,

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 parts that have the dimensions I need. The part I want to make is an add-on that converts the one piece to the other...so you don't have to buy the whole other part. I have a local shop I will stop by thursday and run the idea by them. Any questions or suggestions about how I present the project to the shop? Also, I'm in NC...

Thanks,
    Filter.