7 14.29%
  • Forward and to the left

20 40.82%
  • Forward and to the right

2 4.08%
Page 1 of 2 12

Where is your zero?

Hey All,
    I finally have a good handle on milling. Where is your table in space at machine zero? I have been messing around with axis reversing and what not and have decided that zero is when the table is pushed back towards the column as far as it will go and hanging off the right at its extremity. So looking at my table when it moves out toward the operator its positive y and when the table moves left its positive x.

How are you set up?
    Joe

You missed Z out of the poll ;-)

I think it is most common to have zero as you have it, so you are always in positive X and Y. Your home position however, is probably better to have the x axis centered and the y all the way toward the operator to facilitate part removal.

x is centered and y is all the way to the front of the doors. makes for the easiest loading and unloading for parts.

I have always used exactly the opposite for zero. I use table full left and away from column for zero. When the table moves to the right, the x values are increasing. When the table moves toward from the column y values are increasing. It is still a right hand coordinate system so I don't get mirror image parts. Also, I still always work exclusively in positive x and y values. A part made in my machine is just spun 180 degrees. So why do I do it this way? Because I can set my fixed vise jaw as Y=part zero and it never changes regardless of stock width. Also, I am right handed and it is more natural for me to slide a part into the vise and push it to the right against my fixed stop using my left hand, leaving my right hand free to tighten the vise.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    I have always used exactly the opposite for zero. I use table full left and away from column for zero. When the table moves to the right, the x values are increasing. When the table moves toward from the column y values are increasing. It is still a right hand coordinate system so I don't get mirror image parts. Also, I still always work exclusively in positive x and y values. A part made in my machine is just spun 180 degrees. So why do I do it this way? Because I can set my fixed vise jaw as Y=part zero and it never changes regardless of stock width. Also, I am right handed and it is more natural for me to slide a part into the vise and push it to the right against my fixed stop using my left hand, leaving my right hand free to tighten the vise.
    I can understand your methodology but that would drive me absolutely bonkers.

Re: Where is your zero?

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I can understand your methodology but that would drive me absolutely bonkers.
    You obvious have not used/worked to many machining centers, they all work the same way as 109jb has said,( Industry standard )
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You obvious have not used/worked to many machining centers, they all work the same way as 109jb has said,( Industry standard )
    Are you sure you read what he wrote correctly?
    I don't have much experience with machining centers but I've run or worked on lots of CNC equipment (routers, lasers, knee mills, tool room mills, cartesian positioners, RP machines) and I've never seen a machine set up as he describes.

Are you sure you read what he wrote correctly?
    I don't have much experience with machining centers but I've run or worked on lots of CNC equipment (routers, lasers, knee mills, tool room mills, cartesian positioners, RP machines) and I've never seen a machine set up as he describes.
    Standard the whole wold over, Cartesian Coordinate System Right-Hand Rule, there is a Left Hand Rule used on some machines, but mostly are Right Hand

The only difference with the Left Hand is the X axes goes to the opposite side
    Mactec54

We aren't talking about the right hand rule here...

109jb said X+ was to the left and Y+ was toward the operator. That is rotated 180 degrees from the "industry standard" which is why it would drive me bonkers.

We aren't talking about the right hand rule here...

109jb said X+ was to the left and Y+ was toward the operator. That is rotated 180 degrees from the "industry standard" which is why it would drive me bonkers.

What he said in the first line (. I use table full left and away from column for zero. ) this is the Right Hand Rule & in most machines industry standard
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    When the table moves to the right, the x values are increasing. When the table moves toward from the column y values are increasing.
    What he said in the first line (. I use table full left and away from column for zero. ) this is the Right Hand Rule & in most machines industry standard
    There are two coordinate systems that follow the right hand rule and industry standard axis labelling. The one I am familiar with and the one 109jb uses. Please tell me which one is industry standard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RHR.png  

I am still trying to figure this out for my little sx2 conversion. Coming from a math background 0,0 should be the lower left corner of the table. If this is the case then zero is table away from you and to the right. This is the same as spindle towards you and to the left. Where it gets confusing for me is in setting up my controls. Positve x movement would be spindle moving to the right. Since we are actualy moving the table then positive X is the table moving left and that "feels" wrong.

I can get use to what ever is "correct." I just want to set up my machine such that I don't have to relearn once I get a factory made hobby CNC machine or get time on a "real" machine.

There are two coordinate systems that follow the right hand rule and industry standard axis labelling. The one I am familiar with and the one 109jb uses. Please tell me which one is industry standard.
    Not correct,

There is as I said, a Left Hand Rule & the right Hand Rule, is what I said in Post # 9 which are both used in the Industry, But mostly the Right Hand Rule is used

The only axes that changes as I said in the other post, is the X axes

That is all the difference is between Left & Right Hand Rule

The Y axes & Zaxes Do not change

Apply the Right Hand Rule as in Post #9 gives you your answer to your drawings
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by tjbaudio View Post
    I am still trying to figure this out for my little sx2 conversion. Coming from a math background 0,0 should be the lower left corner of the table. If this is the case then zero is table away from you and to the right. This is the same as spindle towards you and to the left. Where it gets confusing for me is in setting up my controls. Positve x movement would be spindle moving to the right. Since we are actualy moving the table then positive X is the table moving left and that "feels" wrong.

I can get use to what ever is "correct." I just want to set up my machine such that I don't have to relearn once I get a factory made hobby CNC machine or get time on a "real" machine.
    You always describe motion in terms of the tool moving. Imagine yourself as the part. If you are sitting on the table and it moves left, it looks like you are stationary and the spindle is moving to the right.

Not correct,

There is as I said, a Left Hand Rule & the right Hand Rule, is what I said in Post # 9 which are both used in the Industry, But mostly the Right Hand Rule is used

The only axes that changes as I said in the other post, is the X axes

That is all the difference is between Left & Right Hand Rule

The Y axes & Zaxes Do not change

Apply the Right Hand Rule as in Post #9 gives you your answer to your drawings
    BOTH OF THE SCENARIOS IN MY DRAWING FOLLOW THE RIGHT HAND RULE.

Why are you being cryptic? Which one of the scenarios in my drawing is "industry standard"?

[QUOTE=keebler303;1468170]BOTH OF THE SCENARIOS IN MY DRAWING FOLLOW THE RIGHT HAND RULE.

That is not possible, for both to follow the right hand rule, as the drawings are different, You seem to be confused with your own drawings
    Mactec54

The right hand rule is used for determining how the axes are oriented to each other, not to the machine. Both follow the right hand rule, you just need to rotate your hand 180 degrees about the Z axis, as 109jb said.

You still haven't answered my question, which of my drawings is industry standard?

I don't have a ton of experience, but did work for several years on VMC', mainly Cincinnati's and all of them were set up as I described. That is one of the reasons I set my little machine up that way. Can't say for all brands, but all of the VMC's I worked on were that way.

Here is one example of a Haas machine with X and Y oriented how I am familiar with it. Every knee mill I have used has been the same...

CNC MIlling

Page 1 of 2 12