587,401 active members*
3,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Where to get a good/cheap z depth tool

Where to get a good/cheap z depth tool

Hello, I work at a shop and we've got a haas VF-1 on the way. It will be here in about 2 weeks time. When it arrives, I'd like to get a fairly accurate z depth tool with a dial.

The one I can find is called a 'zero setter' but it's going for ~500 CDN.

Anyone know where I could find a slightly cheaper one? I'd prefer a dial over electronic.

Or, could anyone convince me to use an electronic one if it's better?

Thanks!

J&L Industrial Supply in Michican. About $120.00

Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Here is a link to a inexpensive unit
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-Z-AXIS...QQcmdZViewItem

My all time favorite is this unit by Mitutoya
    About $300 USA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zero-Setter-opt.jpg  

I edited the above ebay post but it would not take.
    So :
    OOPS, I saw CA and United States and thought it shipped to CAnada/
    Sorry. You might look in the http://www.ebay.ca and see if they have anything similar.

So how are they intended to be used? Run the z down to touch, touch being determined by the needle budging, and then dial in the height of the gage to zero z?

Best,

BW

Bob,
    You would run the tool down until the dial reads exactly 0, then add 1" to the tool length, because at the zero position the cutter is exactly 1" from the top of the material. In the un-loaded condition the pad is at about +.055 and goes to about -.055

Example: When z is moved down to zero on the dial and the z-depth reads say -8.0255 you would then enter -9.0255 in the controller and do this for each tool.

This type of tool length setting can be a problem if you machine the top of material completely, you then need to change a cutter and there is no original surface to re-set from.

It is really quick and right on the money, with most commercial mills minimum jog increment at .0001 you can see five little needle jumps between each of its .0005 increments.