587,421 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Where to buy hard to find tools

I have the following tools I am trying to track down.

M. A. Ford 27812500B EDP# 36992
    M. A. Ford 27812502B EDP# 65002
    M. A. Ford 27812510B EDP# 36993

M. A. Ford 27712510B EDP# 18702
    M. A. Ford 27712512B EDP# 18703

These are all 1/8 carbide endmills from M. A. Ford. I usually try to find anything I buy on Amazon or ebay first, but neither of these have any hits. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with a certain supplier that might offer them.

I'm looking for the best 1/8 carbide endmills I can find for cutting titanium. I need shorter than normal flute length and variable helix geometry. These M. A. Fords are not cheap but I have a 3/16 I am using currently and that thing is awesome.

Re: Where to buy hard to find tools

JS,
    Googling your first part number came up with a PDF catalog, the following is on the last page. I'm sure if you call them they will point you to a distributor, or just sell them to you.

Good Luck
    Terry

M.A. Ford® Mfg. Co., Inc.
    7737 Northwest Blvd.
    Davenport, IA 52806 USA
    Ph: 563-391-6220 or 800-553-8024
    Fax: 563-386-7660 or 800-892-9522
    [email protected]

Try Ultra Tool. They make some awesome end mills and their prices are reasonable.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Ditto on MFChief's response. I have used M.A. Ford's reamers and they last and last and last! FYI- I've been using Destiny Tools Raptor Series end mills for Ti and Stainless and I'm getting ready to stitch the part numbers into my pillow because they are treating me so well!

I just got a raptor to kick ass in some 6AL 4V , haven't five much but it's fantastic for what it has.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I just got a raptor to kick ass in some 6AL 4V , haven't five much but it's fantastic for what it has.

Not to thread hijack, but the 4 flute DVH EM's slot and peripheral mill like no other EM that I have tried before. I was using the Kennametal GoMill series and was pleased by the tool life I was getting compared to the Niagara carbide EM's that I had been using. The raptors beat out those Kennametal mills for usable life and quality of cut by a long shot. The 4 flute variable helix Raptors tear up Ti and Stainless steel with very little vibration being transmitted through the spindles of our "not the most rigid" little mills. The finish that you get from their 3/6 flutes is also killer and I'll use them for profiling and finishing when a high quality surface finish is necessary. They (the 3/6) can eat up your available torque pretty quickly so you have to manage your feeds and speeds pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Not to thread hijack, but the 4 flute DVH EM's slot and peripheral mill like no other EM that I have tried before. I was using the Kennametal GoMill series and was pleased by the tool life I was getting compared to the Niagara carbide EM's that I had been using. The raptors beat out those Kennametal mills for usable life and quality of cut by a long shot. The 4 flute variable helix Raptors tear up Ti and Stainless steel with very little vibration being transmitted through the spindles of our "not the most rigid" little mills. The finish that you get from their 3/6 flutes is also killer and I'll use them for profiling and finishing when a high quality surface finish is necessary. They (the 3/6) can eat up your available torque pretty quickly so you have to manage your feeds and speeds pretty close.
    Thanks for the heads up, and the confirmation in Hyatt getting titanium down.

Your coolant is very important in running ti I use vasco 7000 the best I have found for ti cutting. Where are you located? I am sure there is a rep in your area that can help with tooling if needed.

Jemtech UK Ltd - Vasco 7000 marks a step-change in titanium machining

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Your coolant is very important in running ti I use vasco 7000 the best I have found for ti cutting. Where are you located? I am sure there is a rep in your area that can help with tooling if needed.

Jemtech UK Ltd - Vasco 7000 marks a step-change in titanium machining
    Where does one find such an exotic elixir in a 5 gallon quantity? I'm cutting TI and stainless quite well with plain old Kool Mist 77 mixed in DI water at a slightly hotter concentration than specified by the manufacturer. Certainly though if I can find an exotic juice that makes my tools last even longer I'll give it a try. I just don't want to have the hack, or grow a dorsal fin from toxic exposure.

Do you know anything about qualichem ? 251c is what I'm using, I am very please with it vs. Titanium (6AL 4V )

I did have to blow 3 different guys to get a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff, but i got the last guys number if ya want, torchmaster, I'm sure has more experience than I do with ti however, I do more aluminum than ti.

Look it up tools last longer your machine stays cleaner and the windows in your machine stay clear. It is the best that we have found. I will get you some tooling information if wanted or needed just let me know what tools you use and sizes.

Vasco 7000 Blaser Swisslube | Johnston Companies

I did have to blow 3 different guys to get a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff, but i got the last guys number if ya want, torchmaster, I'm sure has more experience than I do with ti however, I do more aluminum than ti.

Sure! PM me with your "John's" number. I'll take him out on the town and show him a good time for a 5 gallon bucket of "miracle sauce" LOL! Looks like the Johnston Company that Tormachmaster is providing info on is based in Missouri...I bet they can make the world flat and roll a jug out here via our friends at Brown huh? I'm in MI a machine tool haven (thanks to those fellahs in the venerable automotive industry) so I can usually get my hands on some "stuff" via local channels= if I'm willing to be called, direct mailed and bothered in some way for the rest of my life. I swear that once you get in somebody's CRM you are a "friend" for life to them. Sorry for derailing this thread further!

Sure! PM me with your "John's" number. I'll take him out on the town and show him a good time for a 5 gallon bucket of "miracle sauce" LOL! Looks like the Johnston Company that Tormachmaster is providing info on is based in Missouri...I bet they can make the world flat and roll a jug out here via our friends at Brown huh? I'm in MI a machine tool haven (thanks to those fellahs in the venerable automotive industry) so I can usually get my hands on some "stuff" via local channels= if I'm willing to be called, direct mailed and bothered in some way for the rest of my life. I swear that once you get in somebody's CRM you are a "friend" for life to them. Sorry for derailing this thread further!
    What the hell are you mumbling on about? Have you ever tried vasco 7000 NO you have not don't knock it until you have tried it. For ti it's great and beyond that do the research.

Ditto on MFChief's response. I have used M.A. Ford's reamers and they last and last and last! FYI- I've been using Destiny Tools Raptor Series end mills for Ti and Stainless and I'm getting ready to stitch the part numbers into my pillow because they are treating me so well!
    I have heard good things about the raptors too. I may try a couple of them and see what I think.

Do you know anything about qualichem ? 251c is what I'm using, I am very please with it vs. Titanium (6AL 4V )

Qualichem's web site really sucks so I called to ask about distributors and was given the name of the local distributor along with an offer for a free 5-gal sample bucket of 251C. When I talked to the local rep, I explained that a 5-gal bucket would last me a year or two and that I'd be pleased to pay for it. The rep insisted that Qualichem has a liberal sample policy and suggested that if it was still free, but that it would be nice if I paid the shipping or just dropped by in person to pick it up, so I did the latter. Give them a call and they will probably do the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    What the hell are you mumbling on about? Have you ever tried vasco 7000 NO you have not don't knock it until you have tried it. For ti it's great and beyond that do the research.
    Excuse me?! I wasn't knocking anything, nor replying to you specifically, but I am genuinely interested in trying out Vasco, Qualichem or any other consumable that could potentially improve my business process from its status quo. As I wrote my initial reply I was seriously laughing at the previous post implying that it took an indecent act in a boudoir to procure small quantities of the product to trial. That was damn funny! Hence why I may try the Missouri based supplier, that you had posted, via a UPS shipment.

Here in MI every time I purchase something from a local contact/agent I swear that I end up being pestered to NO END by sales reps and their cousins. As a small business owner I abhor dealing with sales reps cold calling me, or fishing to find out what product I am currently happy with so they can politely tell me that I must be an idiot to waste money on "such an inferior product". What they don't understand is that I (and many others like me) live and die by data and process reliability. Show me a detailed, well controlled, quasi scientific study and I'll give most products the benefit of the doubt when time allows. Process improvement never ends.

Ok thanks for clearing that up you should either research it or simply talk to the rep it is worth it. The best stuff we have found yet.

Thanks for the insight Tormachmaster...I certainly will because you obviously have had a good experience with this fluid. I hate to be a pest, but do you have any insight on tooling. I know my own experiences have pushed me into the Destiny Tools realm, but that doesn't mean that they are the end of the road. What have you had good luck with- specific to Ti? Thanks, in advance, for your input because I certainly value it.

Most of our cells are using Bassett high performance end mills.

Page 1 of 2 12