587,611 active members*
3,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Whats the optimum frequency for the ossilator

Whats the optimum frequency for the ossilator

I have put together a unipolar board using the L297. I basically looked at the spec sheet and went from there. I would like to know how you arrive at the optimum frequency for the input of the ossilator pin (16). I know there is a better way than the trial and error method I used with the bread board. I have soldered up 2 of these boards and am drivng PK264-01A Vextra motors @ about 1000 rpm with no problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 297uni.jpg  

You should use a higher voltage if possible. I'm using about 35v and can get more than 5000 rpm (no load) with my 4.5v 1.4 amp motors, using a similar type of chopper. Of course the motor is usesless at that speed, since the torque is low, but it's interesting to see what is possible.

Re power supply

I am going to put together a powersupply that will give me about 36V. I am currently using the power supply from an old QMS color script that I salvaged. It has an output of about 20V. I was wondering about the size of capacitor and resistor that connects to the ossilator conection on the L297 though.

Chopper frequency

I have the same doubt about chopper freq.
    I have installed one 22K resistor and a 3.3nF cap at pin 16 (osc) of L297, and this combination give me 20KHz chopper freq. (1/0.69*R*C)
    I'm feeding motors with 40Vcc and speed is not problem - sound is!
    There are a very high pitch sound, probably because 20KHz freq - inside human audible range.
    My question is - what is the impact at the FETs (i'm using IRL630) if I trhow frequency more high, for let's say 30KHz or even a little more (outside audible range).

Thank you and best regards (sorry my poor English)
    Gilii

20khz is not within the audible frequency of most people. The squeal you hear is well below 20k.

I think it's caused by electrical noise causing the chopper to continuously change frequency. I don't think increasing the chop freq will make a difference, but you could try it anyways since it might change the tone and make it less offensive.

H500,

Thanks for the answer.
    I will try to change the freq, but i agree with you - that ugly sound probably is due to eletrical noise.
    My doudt is If the FETs will accept a faster frequecy, and not cause lost steps, or maybe due to higher freq will work at higher temperatures.

Gilii

Gilii, if your switching freq is too high for your fets, they will just get hot. I'm using irl530's in a similar chopping circuit and they have no trouble with 50 khz. I have them on a heat sink even though it's theoretically not needed.

H500,

Thanks again - I'll try to change freq to something higher and see what will happens.

Gilii