587,515 active members*
3,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

what is a post processor

Forgive me,but i dont know what a post processor is. I have built a cnc with three axis x,y,and z using three gecko 202 motor drives with a power supply that is two 24 volt ac transformers connected in serial configeration. out put is about 68 volts dc. running the parallel port with a breakout board. My table is about 16 inches on my y axis,and 28 inches on my x axis. Im getting ready to run it but am having a hard time with software.

got a computer with XP windows, dont know what program,s will draw DXF files to import in the software to run the mill. thinking of using EMC2 but cannot get it to install in my computer...any info will be welcomed.

A post processor takes a CAM file that adds tool paths and offsets and produces a ready to run part program format that is compatible with your machine.
    Most CAD/CAM programs have common P.P. included, some allow you to write your own.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for that information,cant wait to try this thing out.

Maybe I missed something,

So you have a home built 3 axis and a break out board and a pc . Since its an xp machine it should have a parallel port you could use to connect the break out board to.

I use Mach 3 on my machine so I can only speak of my experience with it.

It's affordable easy to set up and as you have read popular on here.
    The manual for it is pretty easy to understand and well epwritten

Word of advice try to dedicate that pc to just the cnc control I have had zero issues with Mach on my machine because it has never once been connected to the Internet , and I run no other programs but Mach while the machine is on.

Windows always works great when you first get it, once you update add some programs it starts to slow down.

Just my two cents if you want some simple g code for Mach say to cut some square shapes I can send you a file to try.

help, what Al and comandojon said, but there's actually all sorts of software you may or may not use in conjunction with CNC.

This article may help you to sort it out:

CNC Software: CAM Software, Simulators, Editors and Utilities

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Glad you told me that and I do have an older computer with XP on it that i can use for my machine control, I will use it just for that, should i just have the machine controlling program only on that computer, and if i do how do i load up a file to run on it. Im thinking about using a thumb drive to take from one computer to the control computer. I think im getting the picture of needing a program that draws the part and saves it as some type of file, then another program that changes it to a g-code file but im sort of lost from there.will do more reading thanks for the information..

I use a thum/USB drive to transfer from the cad/cam computer to the machine in the shop .

You can save commonly used files,or really any .nc file txt file on the computer you run the machine with. We keep one folder with maintenance programs like main table plane, various vacuum holding devices on the machine computer, a second folder with standard cabinet files.

For me its more of a manufacturing situation but having main table plane. Is pretty handy if you plan on using a spoil board.

Jon