587,187 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What other Metals work nicely?

6061 aluminum seems to be the go-to metal for most home machinists. The lack of rusting and the fact that the chips produced don't end up being horrific needles of death combined with the good machinability make it a good choice. I'm looking for some other options though when I need a heavier, harder metal. I'd prefer something that is dry machinable as I like using air blast with drip lubrication.

Given that I want something that won't rust (I don't clean up chips as often as I should and a pile of rusted chips anywhere is going to be a hell of a mess) my options are quite limited. I'm probably looking at some sort of stainless steel, but I'm wondering what's recommended. I really want something that won't be as prone to the burrs and sloppy edges that can result from machining soft metals like 6 series aluminum. I haven't had issues on 90 degree edges but I have to make some very sharp edges and aluminum isn't right for it. Is there a stainless steel that meets all these demands and won't result in days of discomfort from getting showered in chips?

Go with a 303 stainless. It's easy cutting and won't rust. You could also try 416, the higher sulfur content makes it decent to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    Go with a 303 stainless. It's easy cutting and won't rust. You could also try 416, the higher sulfur content makes it decent to machine.
    +1 on the 303. A joy to work with using the right cutting tools.

416 is somewhat less corrosion resistant and I believe it is magnetic.

I had some 416 lying around and it cut great. I'll give 303 a shot next time, thanks for the advice.

304, she's a whore; 303, she's for me!

360 brass machines very nicely too and you don'r usually get the long swarf that 6061 can generate.

For plastics, Delrin or acetal machines very nicely, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    304, she's a whore; 303, she's for me!
    That's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    360 brass machines very nicely too and you don'r usually get the long swarf that 6061 can generate.
    Some time ago, I got the impression that 360 brass was the "gold standard" for machinability. Maybe it was a comparison chart someone generated. Basically, the comparisons I've seen start with 360 having a score of 1 (or maybe 100%) and everything else was some fraction less than that. Is there/has there ever been such a "standard" for machinability?

In any case, I can certainly agree that 360 is very nice to work with.

Of course, it so often turns out that machinability is the inverse of weldability.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wirecutter View Post
    That's funny!

Some time ago, I got the impression that 360 brass was the "gold standard" for machinability. Maybe it was a comparison chart someone generated. Basically, the comparisons I've seen start with 360 having a score of 1 (or maybe 100%) and everything else was some fraction less than that. Is there/has there ever been such a "standard" for machinability?

In any case, I can certainly agree that 360 is very nice to work with.

Of course, it so often turns out that machinability is the inverse of weldability.

-Mark
    According to AISI, B1112 Steel has a machinability rating of 100%- though there are plenty of materials with higher than 100%. I tend to disagree with their scale from time to time though, so take it with a grain of salt.