587,597 active members*
4,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What kind of machinery do I need?

I plan on manufacturing paintball markers and aftermarket parts. I have plenty of ideas but I'm not sure what kind of machines I will need to make them. I need tools that can drill large gauge holes in metal, such as a barrel. Can anyone help me here?

I think you are going to need to put up a few more specifics. Some sketches and relative sizes of parts at a minimum.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Ok well the only thing I'm really curious about is making the barrel. I need to be able to micro hone the inside of the barrel, and I need to be able to make it a certain size, by the time I start making them I will probably be doing 68 caliber barrels. And also how would I make threading on the back of the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by tepaintball View Post
    Ok well the only thing I'm really curious about is making the barrel. I need to be able to micro hone the inside of the barrel, and I need to be able to make it a certain size, by the time I start making them I will probably be doing 68 caliber barrels. And also how would I make threading on the back of the barrel?
    For a barrel like that,paintball marker, you would be better off material and money wise, to start with a tube. Slightly under-size on the ID and slightly oversize on the OD.

For a barrel your best option is starting with tube, reaming it out and turning between centers to maintain concentricity.

For only barrels you can get away with just a manual lathe and some basic tooling. Probably 1500$.

Assuming you want the capabilities to make an entire marker you are going to need a cnc mill, lathe as well as a bandsaw and a significant amount of tooling. Even if you buy the cheapest crap you can find, all together you are probably looking at 10,000$ and a massive learning curve.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything until you understand the process and exactly what you want to make.

consider paying someone else to make them.

in business, you have to identify your core competencies. They might design, ideas, sales & marketing - all things you need....but it sounds like machining is not one of them. Since machine is also not strategic (lots of people can do it) and you have no resources in that area, machines or knowledge, my advice would be to outsource that function and concentrate of the stuff you can do competently and that is strategic; design, sales, marketing etc.