587,262 active members*
3,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: way covers?

way covers?

Hi guys, I grow tired of cleaning up the ways particularly on the Y axis. Im looking for advice on how to rig up some way covers.
    Does anyone have recommendations, as far as aftermarket way covers? or any ideas on improvised way covers?

I was thinking of some vinyl covers cut to size, held in place by strong magnets. Any ideas?

Mine came apart (into pieces) when I started the CNC converstion and I'm not sure what I'm going to replace them with. One idea I have is to get some vinyl that's thick enough to be bolted/screwed in to place but flexible enough to bend outwards. Chips that land on it should slide to one side or the other then I can just brush them off during down time.

Mine got in the way too.

I made up some out of EDPM 1/8" rubber. It has worked well but it has changed shape due to oil. I would try a different material but we have a 6'x20' roll of the EDPM.

Also made a new servo mount that flipped the motor around to get it out of the way. I like it much better than the old one that had the rather large ElectroCraft servo sticking out.

I could ship out some EDPM for cheep if you want. You need to keep oil of it.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Re: way covers?

Second on using rubber mat. Very easy and cheap. Wire bent like a U over the mill head to cover the Z axis. A second wire wrapped under the table hooks to the same piece of rubber to keep it over the Y.

Attachment 236814

A good replacement for the stock rubber cover is Buna-N rubber. It is flexible and oil resistant. A .125" x 12" x 24" sheet from McMaster-Carr is $15.00 and can be mounted using the stock rails.

I like this idea