586,068 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VMC 4525 AMP 0040 Short Circuit

Exclamation VMC 4525 AMP 0040 Short Circuit

Hi all,

I recently bought a Fadal 4525 2005 model, but during the transportation they forgot to fix the counterweight with the transportation bars, so when the machine arrived the "y" servo was crushed by it, i decide to wait for the new servo motor to power up the machine. So a couple of days ago we installed the new servo motor and power up the machine, and for my surprise the machine didnt even jog when it was told to run, we only got this message on the screen YOU HAVE A MEMORY UPGRADE OR MEMORY CORRUPTION. PLEASE ZERO THE MEMORY.

When we where doing the power up we noticed a pop on the panel, so we inspected it and noticed the y amplifier with no leds on, we also noticed the 50 amp fuse burned, we disconnected the servo for y and put a new fuse on, but then the same happened after power up. We took the amp to get fixed and they found 2 IGBT burned so we replaced them and tried again today... we had the same message and a complete stall on the machine, no jog, no nothing. Only another 50A fuse gone...

Does anyone have any lead regarding this issue?

Thanks

Re: VMC 4525 AMP 0040 Short Circuit

First
    I'd check the cable connecting the servo motor to the y amplifier has not been damaged
    it may of been crushed or if it has a multi-pin plug to connect to the motor
    a wire may of pulled off inside of the plug
    (if the new motor is a second hand motor its possible its faulty and damaged the servo amp)

I'd expect the machine not to jog any axis with a faulty servo

second
    the error message could be due to the loss of backup battery power while the machine was being moved
    or a poor connection either between the memory board and the machines mother board or a memory IC and the socket its plugged into

check all memory IC's are fully in the sockets
    then re seating the memory board once or twice should clear the memory problems once you have re zeroed the memory

I'm sure other users of Fadal machines will be able to give you more detailed information once they see your post

John

Thanks for the reply.

Today I turned on the machine again, so i can inspect the issue, i kept the y axis amp disconected, after turning the machine on, I pushed the run bottom on the back and again a pop sound came from the panel after inspecting it the led lights were out from the z and x axis, no error was displayed at the screen but the same memory corrupted message, It is weird that the fuses that take the current to the amps were fine, but this time the L1 fuse was gone. And again it was not possible to jog any axis.

- Checked the y servo cables and are good.

I have no idea were the memory IC are on this machine nor the battery for backup, can you advice on this?.

Here are a couple of pics of the issue.

Attachment 247884Attachment 247886Attachment 247888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_113646.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	247890

Thanks

while I'll have a looking for the the circuit diagrams for the machine ( do you have a web link ?)

a few questions

which fuse failed the first time ?

I guess the close up picture of the 3 fuses is part of the DC supply to the servos

are the voltage taps on the mains transformers set for your 3 phase supply ?

once you have the servos working I'd expect the memory error will go when you follow the onscreen instructions

John

Im not sure, but my guess is that the axis fuse got burned first, the picture is the entry of the power supply for the rack. I will check the taps for the transformer and let you know, about the diagrams here is a link were i found the wiring information.

http://www.flintmachine.com/pdfs/fad...grams/104D.pdf

Thanks

I'll have a look at the diagrams now

the diagram for a Bridgeport mill made it possible to help AdeV in this post -
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...ing-fuses.html

the first CNC machine I've worked on
    makes a change from broadcast equipment !

John

I think I've found the circuit diagram for the pcb in post 3
    see page 4 -
    http://www.flintmachine.com/pdfs/fad...ve_Systems.pdf

its possible the fuse had just become weaker as a result of being overloaded when the driver failed

if the mains supply is connected to the wrong taps
    the combination of only having two driver connected and the mains supply a little high
    may of resulted in the shunt regulator operating too early

check the voltage between the 3 fuses on the PCB
    It should be about 220 to 230 V AC
    (1.4142 times the voltage measured should be about 325V --

325V DC is the required voltage for the drivers see page 13)

JohnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	VMC4525 axis drive dc psu.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	248020

did not read the whole post, so I dont know your location, but I am USA east coast standard time....call me and I will talk you through it if you speak English. No disrespect implied, I just only speak English. 727-465-6614

Steve

Hi, thanks a lot both of you, Steve i will call you today since im doing some trials on the machine, since i fixed the old amp.

BR