587,752 active members*
3,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > VCarve Wizard Update

VCarve Wizard Update

Since the release of VCarve Wizard in August last year the software has rapidly developed from a simple wizard based VCarving program to a fully functional and complete sign making, engraving and wood carving solution. So we have decided that a more appropriate name is required and the software has been renamed VCarve Pro,

VCarve Pro is a Free Upgrade to all VCW customers and will be released at the end of June.

For a summary of the New Functionality see,

What's New in VCarve Pro

Profile machining chamfers around letters looks easy but adding corner sharpened detail just makes the finished piece look so much better.

Sample machined on a ShopBot router

Combine PhotoVCarve designs and Lithophanes with VCarve Pro carving and decoration.

Let us know if you any questions about VCarve Pro.

Tony

I was fortunate enough to play with the "texture" feature now added to VCarvePro. See some results here:

http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/32/690.html

The backgrounds of signs can now truly look "handcarved", fresh off a CNC machine!

Tony. Im new to the cnc and have bought plans for my first machine but not even started building yet. So heres my question.

I need:

Corel Draw
    V Carve Wizard

And what other software with VCarve Wizard??? Is this the only two programs I need or do I need something like Mach2 aswell??

Basically what Im looking for is a sample list of the two or three programs I need to go from idea in my mind to carving on a wooden board. Thanks.

PS: I really like the look of VCarveWizard and am going to go with it, so if you could give your sample list to suit it I'd appreciate it.

I use VCarve, Inkscape (which is free at http://www.inkscape.org/) and Mach2/3. With this setup you'll be able to do Vcarving, 2D machining and just about anything else you can think of. Check out the galleries at Vectric: http://vectric.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Thankyou. I have downloaded InkScape to try and become familiar with it. Should I do the same with Mach2 or do I really need a machine first to be able to 'practise'?

thanks again.

Edit:
    I looked quickly at Inkscape. Whats the process?...
    ...Imagine in head!..... Then Draw in CorelDraw.....Then import to Inkscape to make into vectors....then....now what? Where does VCarveWizard and MAch 2 come in?

Thanks again.

Hi diarmaid,

Most customers will do the design work in Corel Draw then simply Export the design as an EPS file.

VCarve Wizard Opens / Imports the EPS out of Corel Draw.

If you have an image file ie a jpg or bmp then this needs to be converted to vector outlines before it can be loaded into VCarve. Inkscape converts the image file to vectors. Corel Trace (included with Corel Draw) also converts images to vectors.

VCarve Pro which will be released in a couple of weeks is much more functional with Text and Vector editing tools that means less need for Corel Draw.

VCarve saves a CNC toolpath file that is loaded into Mach to drive the CNC router.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Yes it does. Thankyou.

So in summary I need:

Coral Draw
    InkScape
    VCarveWizard
    Mach2

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid
    So in summary I need:

Coral Draw
    InkScape
    VCarveWizard
    Mach2

In my opinion, skip Mach 2 and go right for Mach 3 unless you have some hardware limitation that will only work with Mach 2. Register Mach X ASAP as it is well worth the $160 US and gets you past the 1000 line limit. Most of my g-code files, even for relatively simple parts, start at around 5000 lines.

Corel Draw and Inkscape are also fantastic programs and are useful for all kinds of graphic creation and manipulation. I haven't taken the "plunge" and tried VCarve Wizard, yet. From the simulations and finished projects in the VCarve forum it looks top notch.

As always, have fun!,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

HayTay....I like your signature. Good advice.