587,603 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Value of a Hardinge CHNC lathe?

Value of a Hardinge CHNC lathe?

A very good friend of mine has asked me to help him sell some machinery. One of the items is a CHNC lathe, sn 664R; the "R" indicates it was remanufactured by Hardinge at some point. It has the Allen-Bradley 7370 control, and almost 2 extra controls for spare parts. Full documentation as well as the diagnostic tapes are available. It interfaces with an older PC for program loading and storage. It has the 16C spindle, but only goes up to 3,000 rpm. It has always been used in an immaculate shop and maintained by technicians that were factory trained. For the last 10 years or so, it was used intermittently to make about 6 or so different balls out of aluminum. I would guess the total number of balls made to be less than 10,000 pieces. A pneumatic barfeeder would be available (I'm not sure of the model, but it is not Hardinge) as an option.

I'm looking for an idea of what price to put on this machine. I know the controller is ancient, but does it have value as a functioning lathe or purely as a candidate for retrofit? Would it be worth more as a parts machine or is it time for the scrap heap? It really is a nice looking machine with excellent original paint, only the clear plexiglass panels are discolored from the use of oil-based coolant.

Hello Jim I am a Service tech for a Hardinge dealer in Il. Now I'm not a saleman but I would say that if you found someone that was truely in love with the 16T CHNC, you could maybe get $4,000.00 for that machine. As for the fact that the drives are obsolete makes it very hard to sell. It is nice that you have spare control parts and if you had spare drive boards that would increase the price. I would start at four grand and see where it takes you........ Hope I helped you!

i would guess no more than $1000 for the machine. the allen bradley control really detracts from the sale. if the R means that it has new ac digital drives than its probably a good buy for $4000 but if the machine still has the brushed dc drives and motors forget it. the machine is boat anchor waiting for a retrofit or to be turned into scrap. also do you know if the tooling is 1/2" center or 3/8" center height? the 1/2" center is more popular. really the final cost depends on tooling and what comes with the machine.

i recently just bought a hardinge cobra 42 with 3000 hrs on it for 12,900. this is 100 times the machine than the chnc. i have a chnc in my shop as well, but it kind of just hangs around for legacy work.

allen bradley

i recently sold machine with control for 750.0 where is machine located i have many more parts for control

If anyone has a use for the executive tapes for these machines, let me know....i have a couple of the original tapes.

if for 4000 rpm machine i could use a backup in case 1 i hav rips