586,060 active members*
4,209 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V26 and T-Slot Tool Path

V26 and T-Slot Tool Path

This one has me stumped. I'm trying to use V26 to create a table top for my CRP-4848. All my operations work except when I try to set a tool path for a t-slot cutter. The operation is created with no errors, but a tool path is not generated - nor does it show in the list of operations in the simulator. I would appreciate someone looking the project over and telling me what I'm doing wrong.

The t-slot cutter being used is a Shars 404-1701 (5/16" x 21/32" x 17/64).

I tried adding additional geometry to represent the bounds of the t-slot cutter's diameter and I tried a single path with tool comp turned of - both didn't seem to work.

If you curious, this file is for generating t-slots on an existing piece of plywood bolted to my CRP-4848. The existing table top was a "scrap" piece of plywood I had laying around after building my base for the table, that's why it's smaller than the 60" x 48" that my CRP-4848 can handle. I'm basically using this piece to make my mistakes on before I put a new piece of 60" x 48" plywood on to cover the whole table. Having it slotted would help make the next table top later this week.

-Freeman
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Re: V26 and T-Slot Tool Path

Quote Originally Posted by Analias View Post
    This one has me stumped. I'm trying to use V26 to create a table top for my CRP-4848. All my operations work except when I try to set a tool path for a t-slot cutter. The operation is created with no errors, but a tool path is not generated - nor does it show in the list of operations in the simulator. I would appreciate someone looking the project over and telling me what I'm doing wrong.

The t-slot cutter being used is a Shars 404-1701 (5/16" x 21/32" x 17/64).

I tried adding additional geometry to represent the bounds of the t-slot cutter's diameter and I tried a single path with tool comp turned of - both didn't seem to work.

If you curious, this file is for generating t-slots on an existing piece of plywood bolted to my CRP-4848. The existing table top was a "scrap" piece of plywood I had laying around after building my base for the table, that's why it's smaller than the 60" x 48" that my CRP-4848 can handle. I'm basically using this piece to make my mistakes on before I put a new piece of 60" x 48" plywood on to cover the whole table. Having it slotted would help make the next table top later this week.

-Freeman
    Try the attached file if you can open it, I am using V26 Build 1335, if you are using an earlier Build it won`t open.

For one your T slot cutter is the same depth as the slot base cut so can`t be done with two depth passes, I have done a re-work of your top slot pockets and your T slots, hope it works for you

Please forgive if the numbers are a little off, we were "metricised" here in 1973, been a while since we used inches
    Should be close, I extracted the geometry from your solid model

See Image for what I simulated, looks a bit like your model

P.S. You`ll have to switch back to your machine and PP, I had to change it in order to simulate ! ! It came out at 12.5 hours at your feed and speeds

Attachment 253602

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thank you Rob. I'm downloading it now to see what you did. I really appreciate the help.

-Freeman
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Rob, I looked over the modified file file and it looks spot on. I think I understand all the choices you made and why you made them. Again, I appreciate you reviewing and showing me how it's done. I've learned quite a bit from it. Thanks.

BTW, all the measurements I took look spot on. I don't see any effects from doing it in metric. It's so good, in fact, I'm going to use the g-code generated. The only thing I'm worried about is the spindle speed for the countersink. The low speed spec'd on my 3HP spindle is 4K, that may be a bit fast for a wood cutting counter sink.

-Freeman

"The only thing I'm worried about is the spindle speed for the countersink. "

I do not see countersink,I see counteBORE.You could just pocket with a 3/8 EM ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Analias View Post
    . The only thing I'm worried about is the spindle speed for the countersink. The low speed spec'd on my 3HP spindle is 4K, that may be a bit fast for a wood cutting counter sink.

-Freeman
    Sorry, but I just left the tool speeds and feeds as they were as I didn`t know the capabilities of your machine and tooling, best I could do I`m afraid

Looks like it`s down to you and some of the good old "trial and error"

Glad I got somewhere close for you, enjoy

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: