586,036 active members*
4,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UC100 (USB to Parallel port) and DTHC questions

I recently bought a 2x2 plasma table and it came with electronics.
    Here is a list of the electronics i received with my table:
    (4) nema P# 57BYGH310
    Arduino clone board
    CNC shield
    (4) DRV8825 drivers
    12v though 24 volt power supply
    dual relay board

Questions:

1) I was told to use Grbl software as the controller but I would really like to use Mach3 as my controller. So would something like this: CNC USB Controller UC100 for Mach3 CNC Controller USB to Parallel | eBay
    Work so I could run Mach3?

2) My table has a floating Z axis but I'd like add a torch height controller . Would something like this work for my current setup Spare Parts : Low Cost Torch Height Controler ?

Thanks!

Re: UC100 (USB to Parallel port) and DTHC questions

Quote Originally Posted by LSX View Post
    I recently bought a 2x2 plasma table and it came with electronics.
    Here is a list of the electronics i received with my table:
    (4) nema P# 57BYGH310
    Arduino clone board
    CNC shield
    (4) DRV8825 drivers
    12v though 24 volt power supply
    dual relay board

Questions:

1) I was told to use Grbl software as the controller but I would really like to use Mach3 as my controller. So would something like this: CNC USB Controller UC100 for Mach3 CNC Controller USB to Parallel | eBay
    Work so I could run Mach3?

2) My table has a floating Z axis but I'd like add a torch height controller . Would something like this work for my current setup Spare Parts : Low Cost Torch Height Controler ?

Thanks!
    Calling this a plasma table is a bit of s stretch.

Not sure where the Arduino board fits into this. (except it runs Grbl ) MACH3 needs a Windows PC to run and you need a BoB to interface to the drivers
    The USB uses a MACH plugin and sends motion information via USB and the card converts it to parallel (sorta) . It needs a BoB at the parallel end of the cable
    You cannot use the USB100 with the LCTHC or any other MACH THC product that depends on the internal THC Logic. The INPUTS from the THC have to be realtime back to MACH not delayed through the USB
    The THC inputs in the USB adapter won't work because none of the other THC logic or tuning is in the settings.

dubble Guest

The THC are handled in realtime by the UC100 as the THC on/off and arc on signals are read and the Z-axis motion is then planned and executed directly on the UC100's DSP, the coordinates etc. are then feedback to Mach3,
    so in case of the THC control the Z-axis is controlled by the UC100 and not by Mach3, so there is no delay at all.
    We use the Proma THC and UC100 on our plasma machines.

dubble Guest

I'm not sure about the DRV8825 drive you mentioning, but if they have no optocouplers on the inputs then you need a BOB or just some opto-circuit to isolate the signals.
    If you will go with the Proma THC, then there is not really a need of optoisolation of the THC signals, as the proma THC gives relay outputs, so you can directly connect them to between the UC100 inputs and the UC100's GND.
    However as you will also need to connect limit and home etc. switch signals and you may want to make the wiring and installation clean I advice to use a breakout board...

Would I be better choosing different electronics? Maybe going with: a different power supply, gecko 540, a smooth stepper board (unless the UC100 will work?) could I add in home/limit switches and a DTCH to the gecko and have it interface with mach3? I don't think my current motors will work with this setup but I can just get some other ones to match. I do plan on extending the table to a 4x8 in the near future anyway. Input and advice welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by dubble View Post
    The THC are handled in realtime by the UC100 as the THC on/off and arc on signals are read and the Z-axis motion is then planned and executed directly on the UC100's DSP, the coordinates etc. are then feedback to Mach3,
    so in case of the THC control the Z-axis is controlled by the UC100 and not by Mach3, so there is no delay at all.
    We use the Proma THC and UC100 on our plasma machines.
    Find someone that uses and likes the above combination in the US besides the vendor. preferably someone that has been on the forum more than a week and has more than one post.

Contact the vendors of the various products you are trying to mix and get their feedback. A lot of what you list is incompatible.