587,608 active members*
3,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turbocad Deluxe 9.2

ok, please bare with me here, but I found this program for sale for $12.95 at http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com/turbocaddlx92.html. Now my question is.....is it worth it?? I am just starting out in cnc and I am almost done building my first cnc. I plan on using turbocnc to run my home built cnc. Will this do everything I need. I want to be able to make some drawings of items and maybe import others (pics) that will have be converted from a reg pic to a dwg file and then have it converted over to g-code. I want to be able to do carvings/etchings of scenery and other pics with my cnc. So.....it a good deal?? Or should I stay clear of this?

if they offer demo ware try it out you can t go wrong with try before you buy if it works for you great but keep in mind you get what you pay for , there is a lot of free cad software out there and also geometry to core coverters which will probably do the same look on cnet or search the web i m sure you will find something that will work for you

sorry code converters not core like i posted

I use TurboCad 9.2 and find that it does what I want. I have used Ace converter to get the DXF converted to Gcode. I am also testing NCPlot which will load the DXF and can produce Gcode.

The thing to remember with TurboCad is that the drawing must have had ALL polylines exploded. This means hatch patterns, lines, circles, arcs, rectangles, lettering, etc. Very important.

Explode hatch patterns and lettering, then save the drawing. Reload the drawing and explode againg, then save again. This may seem like a hassle, but it is not really.

Save the Turbocad drawing to a DXF file format. Use Ace converter to change the drawing to Gcode.

Use a simulator like CNC Simulator or use NCPlot to back plot the drawing to a graphic. Make sure all of the lines are visible.

Once you get the hang of how to do the tidying up before a conversion, then there will be no problems.

Good luck.

Lightbulb

:wave: Hey Guys;
    I'm also just getting into CNC and have purchased Turbocad 10 pro for my cad level drawings. I was going to take a CAD course at the local Tech school but the tuition was over $500. As a matter of fact, it was amongst (nice word) the highest courses listed. Figures!!!
    My question for today is as follows! Is there a tutorial (or example) available which starts from concept, goes through the cad input, g-code conversion, machine tool path verificaiton and actual machining of the part. I'm kinda surprised noone has thought to do this. It would be very valuable to a novice like myself. Just to see the entire picuture would be very benificial in my book. A simple exercise is all that is necessary. In fact, the more simple it is, the better to understand.
    Any ideas out there???
    best regards from the icy carolinas!!!
    billyjack
    inventer of the 15 second shower (no power yet :devious: - 4 days out).
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

For tutorials, http://www.textualcreations.ca/CAD%20Page.html. There are some very good ones that will teach you how to use the software. I have no formal training on CAD, and can draw effiecently in 3d after some of the tutorials.

Intros showing how to create code from CAD:

http://code.arc.cmu.edu/rp_lab/machines/cnc1.html
    http://code.arc.cmu.edu/~ellendo/CNC/Benchman.htm

These intros are for different machines, but show CAD, Ace, and other info.

guess my next question is.......is there that much difference between the "deluxe" version from the "pro" version?? I mean can I do everything with this 9.2 deluxe version? Am I able to produce g-code? 3d drawings? 3d drawings with g-code? Any size restrictions?? Can I import other items into the program...I want to be able to do some etching/carving of pictures into glass/wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mocnc
    guess my next question is.......is there that much difference between the "deluxe" version from the "pro" version?? I mean can I do everything with this 9.2 deluxe version? Am I able to produce g-code? 3d drawings? 3d drawings with g-code? Any size restrictions?? Can I import other items into the program...I want to be able to do some etching/carving of pictures into glass/wood.
    The Deluxe version will do 3D. You will not be able to produce gcode from TurboCad 9.2. You will need the newest version TurboCadCam to do that.

You can use Ace, NCPlot, CamBam, Gcode2000 to get gcode from an exported DXF file.

I would use another program for picture carving. I use Acme Profiler. Pretty neat little program. If you import the image into CAD, you will have to trace over it in a different layer for it to be usable. May want to look at WinTopo as well.

Good luck.

New address for acme profiler:
    http://www.gunstar1.com/scispec/scispec.htm
    Custom CNC Software - ACME Profiler,
    Bar Code Engraving, rapid prototyping
    Promoting CNC ballistic excellence

I don't believe you can import JPEG into TurboCad. It will export JPEG thou, go figure.
    Try WinTopo to convert your raster images to TC accepted files.