586,067 active members*
5,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: TTS Blanks

TTS Blanks

I'm going to be making some tool holder blanks at work, problem is the machine and tools have not arrived yet..

from the tormach page I get that its going to be 3/4 shank and 1 1/2 body, but what is the length of the shank and the inside/outside and depth of the top groove that the R8 mates with? please see my crappy attached image. and fill the blanks in if you can, Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shank.png  

Re: TTS Blanks

From the lip on the holder to the top of the shank is 1-3/8". The depth of the recess is not at all critical - 0.05" should be plenty. The shank MUST be 0.750" or LESS to the bottom of the recess, to ensure no interference with the collet. Many/most real Tormach holders have a slight under-cut on the shank below the lip.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Rune View Post
    Both the width, and shape of your groove are not right. The groove is typically about 0.090" wide, and has a 60 degree chamfer on the bottom edge. From the top of the groove, to the bottom of the chamfer is typically about 0.160". The top of the groove is typically about 0.210" down from the lip. The groove is typically about 0.17" deep.

The chamfers on the top edge vary depending on the type of holder. Generally, you want the widest chamfer you can get away with, especially for ATC use.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah sorry youre right. TTS ATS special; Didnt see that when i posted the drawing.

Cheers!

I use a lot of 1/8 and 3/16 cutters. I would like to see TTS holders those sizes. I used to have 1/8 and 3/16 CAT 40 holders for my larger machines, so I know it can be done.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.