587,401 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > trying to find a CNC conversion kit for X2/SX2

trying to find a CNC conversion kit for X2/SX2

trying to find a CNC conversion kit for X2 or LMS 3900 (SX2)

Been looking at http://www.hossmachine.info/ but apparently he only sells plans and cd's...if so he went through a lot of documentation to just sell plans, though they are excellent plans.

looking at the CNCFusion but I don't like the design of the z axis assembly...looks like it would bind and get chips/swarf in threads/bearings, get wires and things wrapped around screw...not a good scenario. though I guess I could re-do z axis later when I've learned something.

Anyone have any other CNC conversion kit info?
    Don't want belt drive axes

I have the CNC fusion kit on my LMS. The Z axis screw is exposed, but I plan on simply hanging a plastic curtain of sorts off the nut mount to keeps chips off of it.
    I have never had it bind. I removed the spring arm from the left side so the full weight of the head keeps the head down. The steppers don't seem to mind at all. I didn't have to change my accell or speed settings after I did that.
    The main bolt for the Z nut is tightened from inside the column which is a pain. If I ever need to take it off again, I will be drilling out the thread on the nut, making a threaded insert for the column, and putting the bolt through from the outside.
    It would take quite a tangled mess to get any of the wires wrapped around the screw.
    The Y axis screw is shorter than it needs to be. they could have left a little more length on it and I would have gained around .3" of travel.

X2 CNC Conversion Kit

I did a Harbor Freight X2 conversion using the CNC Fusion ball screw conversion kit was very happy with it. You may have to do a little filing on the inside of the X-axis table and you may need to go back and forth tightening the X-axis ball screw nut and the Y-axis gib to prevent binding.

For the exposed Z-axis screw I went to a bicycle shop and they gave me an old inner tube for free. I used a tie wrap to attach it to the bottom of the ball nut and cut it off at the bottom of the screw when in the highest Z-axis position. I got the idea from another web thread and it worked like a charm!

CNC Fusion conversion - additional thought

The only negative about the CNC Fusion conversion kit is that the Z-axis screw bracket covers the Z-axis gib screws, so you need to take the bracket on and off to adjust the gib screws which can be a pain, but is do-able.

millplans
    MINI-MILL CNC CONVERSION KITS - $465.00
    ...He who makes no mistakes makes nothing! ...
    Tom

Since somebody brougt itup, my first attempt at the X2 conversion was to use the Steirlingsteele conversion plans. My results were not very satisfying probably because my manual maching skills were not that good and the parts I made were not very accurate. I had to go to a local machine shop to have lathe work one. All in all the costs for parts and maching were about the same as the CNC Fusion kit and the CNC Fusion parts fit and did not require constant adjustment. Sadly, in the end I threw away the parts that I made from the Sterlingsteele plans and replaced them with the CNC Fusion parts.

[QUOTE=AiR_GuNNeR;975184]
    I removed the spring arm from the left side so the full weight of the head keeps the head down. The steppers don't seem to mind at all. I didn't have to change my accell or speed settings after I did that.
    The main bolt for the Z nut is tightened from inside the column which is a pain. If I ever need to take it off again, I will be drilling out the thread on the nut, making a threaded insert for the column, and putting the bolt through from the outside.

I have the CNC fusion kit too, very good so far. Needed to grind a little off the end of the underside of the X axis for clearance and plan on making a plate to move the Y axis out 5mm to clear the bellows and give me hopefully 5mm more Y. I also took off the Z spring but have fitted a gas spring instead giving me 195mm travel.

I drilled out the hole on left to make it easier to tighten the bolt into the Z-axis mount. It is now tapped M12 to hold the gas strut support.

Quote Originally Posted by lriley View Post
    Sadly, in the end I threw away the parts that I made from the Sterlingsteele plans and replaced them with the CNC Fusion parts.
    Maybe you should have bought the kit instead of the plans.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tpworks View Post
    Maybe you should have bought the kit instead of the plans.
    I believe his conversion kit is incomplete...as you can see below he says "The Z axis motion control mechanism including a 5/8 x 0.200 pitch ballscrew"...notice he says nothing about a z axis motor mount as in x and y axes and there is no z axis motor in his pictures...so it s not a true cnc mill except for x and y axes...wouldnt waste my money or time on it. For 465.00 its way over priced with out z axis motor mount...and poorly designed

Mini-Mill CNC conversion kit
    The kit for a Mini-Mill CNC conversion includes all machined mounts for the X & Y motors, shaft couplers, collars and crank handle adapters. The Z axis motion control mechanism including a 5/8 x 0.200 pitch ballscrew, thrust bearings, sprockets, machined aluminum mounting hardware and all threaded fasteners, washers and related hardware. The guard for the Z axis screw is also included. Kits are built to order and require 6 to 8 weeks from date of order to delivery.
    Price: $465.00

Information obtained from his website...(copy and pasted) http://stores.stirlingsteele.com/Categories.bok

Same as Hoss's, same as mine.
    I don't know why you can't see the stepper motor and mount.
    http://www.stirlingsteele.com/files/leftviewZaxis.jpg
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tpworks View Post
    Same as Hoss's, same as mine.
    I don't know why you can't see the stepper motor and mount.
    http://www.stirlingsteele.com/files/leftviewZaxis.jpg
    I guess I missed that good side view picture (I need to get a bigger display. crt's suck Lol). the conversion kit doesnt say anything about it including the mounting bracket...maybe it's just that he used different wording. But why would he use different wording than what he used foe x and y axes...seems weird?Thanks for the pic...

This might be the way I will go as I don't like the way cncfusion did the z axis...again thanks for the pic
    Sorry for maligning sterling steel kit...not 2/3rd's cnc mill and not over priced since it does have 3 axes motors
    Richard

"The Z axis motion control mechanism including a 5/8 x 0.200 pitch ballscrew"
    I'm not sure , but the word mechanism probably should have been "assembly" to include the rotating nut, belt, pulleys, and mount. He does say thrust bearings. I started my conversion based on this design because of the Z axis assembly, to keep the swarf off of the screw. I got the screws plus X and Y nut mounts made up by Hoss, but I see that he has stopped selling parts.
    Tom

thanks for replies guys...

Think I will go with the sterling steel conversion kit...is there a phone number for this guy? I cant find one on his website or even an option to email him
    Richard

For a Ron Steel contact try
    [email protected]

Hope this works.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoG68 View Post
    For a Ron Steel contact try
    [email protected]

Hope this works.
    awesome...ty
    Richard

I am currently working on conversion using Stirling plans and am very pleased with the product.
    His Email
    [email protected]
    Web site
    millplans