587,887 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Total newbie need help with machine selection

Total newbie need help with machine selection

First, the title says it all - I know very little about CNC machines!

We have a handful of die-cast parts that are currently machined for us on the outside. The machining consists taking up to a 26" diameter part and machining a bore and keyway in the middle of that part. Next, I have to drill and tap two setscrew holes (1/4-20) on the side of the hub (the entire hub is about 3" in diameter), intersecting with the machined bore. The setscrews need to be 90 degrees apart from one another.

Anyway, we are considering bringing this process in-house so I flew into Chicago for the IMTS show this week to learn more about the CNC machines.

From what I've learned, we would use one tool to machine the bore, a second tool to pre-drill the keyway, a third to finish broach the keyway, and then a right angle head to drill the setscrew hole, spindle index that head to drill the other setscrew hole, and finally switch to second right angle head to do the same process but with a tap bit.

This solution would eliminate the need for 5-axis trunions or even indexing tables. It may also allow me to put more than one piece on the machine bed at a time so I could be doing 2 or more pieces per cycle.

The material is aluminum and I want to have a per/piece cycle time of approximately 2 minutes or under.

The machines I identified are the Haas VF3 or the Mori Seiki DuraVertical 1030 (I think thats the model number).

Here's my analysis so far:
    Haas advantages -
    1.) US made so better parts availability
    2). Cheaper
    3.) More versatile if I ever wanted to do other things (more cabinet area and more machining area).
    4.) More popular, larger install base
    Haas disadvantages -
    1.) Debatable if the right angle heads can be used in the tool changer or if they would have to be picked up off the table
    2.) Some people (remember I don't have any personal experience with this) claim Haas is closer to a "5 year" machine that would be junk after that time frame.

Mori advantages -
    1.) Faster spindle speed standard (although I don't know that I need it)
    2.) Better reputation
    3.) Tools are kept out of the work area (Haas only does this if I upgrade to a side changer which I don't need).
    Mori disadvantages -
    1.) Foreign made - Could I be in a situation where I'm waiting for parts from Japan?
    2.) More expensive.
    3.) Unclear if service vans are as well stocked
    4.) not as large of a machining area

In the end, I'm not sure I'm as concerned about the cost. If the more expensive machine is truly worth it, it's easy to cost justify. I want a machine that someone (someone contracted - not me!) can setup the programs and the darn thing will just work. And keep working!

The accuracy of the setscrew holes aren't critical but the location and perpendicularity of the bore is. I don't want something that can't hold my tolerance 3-5 years down the road.

Also, because this is a production machine, I need to know I can get back up and running quickly if the machines does go down.

I'm leaning Haas just because of the US and versatility advantages, but I'm torn. Any feedback the experienced users could give me - one way or another - would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Haas are fine. Mori is top notch. I can attest to Mori's having parts. We just ordered a gear set for a 70's manual lathe and they were in stock in Dallas. Mori is currently building a factory in Chicago, a HUGE parts facility in Dallas, and the Mori DTL engineering lab in Davis, Ca. And I will also tell you, the "parts van" does not really exist for Mori's. They don't have recurring failures that warrant a stocked van with repair parts, same for Okuma and Makino, etc..

Mori has been around since the late 40's, Okuma is something crazy old like 1890's, Haas late 1980's.

Without knowing tolerance, and actual part, it's hard to say what machine would be best for you. From what you describe a HAAS would work well, but maybe a live tool lathe would suit the process better? Cast aluminum is easy to broach, maybe even a rotary broach on a lathe. I don't know myself.

PS, we have HAAS, Hurco and Mori's. Even have six Dura Verticals in various sizes. The new Mori Mapps IV panel with the programming package built in is super nice. Our guys use the Mori Caps programming every day.