587,517 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Total Newb Needs Help (3d Scan to CAD to CNC?)

Smile Total Newb Needs Help (3d Scan to CAD to CNC?)

Hello, and preemptively thank you for any help.

I'm looking for a solution for the following: I would like to be able to scan a 3D object to a digital file (CAD or whatever else), manipulate that digitally, and export the file to a CNC machine to be milled. Does anyone have suggestions for software, or any integrated solutions for these three processes?

As for the manipulation, it will be very simple adjustments.

Thanks again!

NextEngine 3D Laser
    Rhino CAD
    madCAM (Rhino plugin)

3D scans to CNC

You can create CNC code directly from raw scan data.

The easiest way I have found is using a free program called FreeMill, which will create CNC code directly from raw 3D scan data (.STL format). If you don't have any major modifications to make, this is a fast way to reproduce shapes on a CNC.

-Dan
    Daniel Ferguson
    Global Inspection Solutions, LLC
    Global Inspection Solutions, 3D Scanning - Reverse Engineering - 3D Inspection

If you want to make organic shapes/changes, find a free download of Sculptris and also download MeshLab (also free).

Scan the object in (I have and recommend a NextEngine as well). Save the file as STL. Open in MeshLab and save as OBJ. Open in Sculptris and modify the file as you wish. Save as OBJ. Open in Meshlab and save as STL. Open in STL compatible CAM package (I use BobCAD) and make the tooling paths.

If you want to reverse engineer "CAD"/technical shapes, it will be MUCH more difficult. In that case, get RapidWorks with the Scanner, and learn to use it to use the scan data to rebuild in a full CAD model. That CAD model can then be opened in the CAM package of your choice to generate code.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html